Unknown ant species!Found in Croatia,Zagreb!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

PhilDO

Unknown ant species!Found in Croatia,Zagreb!

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Please help me with this ant species,caught it by picking moss out of my forest i live in!Found a bunch of ants,so i decided to take care of them until the winter passes because it's too late for me to return them to the wild.Found their queen,but forgot to take a picture :? !I live in Croatia (Europe) in Zagreb,i found them on 24.12.2018.Thank you for your advice!Here is the link of 7 pictures of a worker ant.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167008474@N07/shares/90gq3E

it's ant love forever!

PhilDO

Re: Unknown ant species!Found in Croatia,Zagreb!

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:28 pm

I forgot to mention:they're about 3 mm long and their abdomen is covered in white strips.They're very calm.Can someone plz help,they are refusing food and drink.The only thing they're consuming is honey.should i be concerned?Is it because i accidentaly interrupted them while hibernating?If these questions are for a different forum,please tell me in which one and how to get to it!

PhilDO

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:21 pm

should i put them outside?Will they die if the temperature changes so quickly?should i change their temperature celsius by celsius to match the cold winter outside?Will they die if i just let them be in this warm house temperature? I'm sorry for all these questions,i'm just really worried :?

moodery

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:54 pm

it might be Camponotus dalmaticus not an expert though
keeping
1x Solenopsis molesta i think 10-20 workers
1x Camponotus pennsylvanicus/formosensis 2 worker
1x Formica pallidefulva 7 workers

PhilDO

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:48 pm

I think you're right!After closer examining,i realized that i didn't consider their antenae into count with their size,so they're actually about 5 mm long!Thank you for the reply! :)

DontSquishTheAnt

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm

PhilDO wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:48 pm
I think you're right!After closer examining,i realized that i didn't consider their antenae into count with their size,so they're actually about 5 mm long!Thank you for the reply! :)
Generally speaking, body length measurements do not include the antennae unless otherwise specified. One way to tell if it is Camponotus is to look at the mesosoma from a side view. If it forms a single, smooth curve, and the ant only has one petiolar node, then it it is Camponotus (Camponotus literally means "flat-backed" in Latin).

I would put them in a colder part of your house (that is, if the ants are in a house); you don't want to temperature shock them too much, or they will die. The idea is to keep them a little above the outside temperature so that they get a more natural and comfortable setting. They will probably not die if you keep them at room temperature.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24

antnest8

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Also in hibernation most ants do not accept food.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

DontSquishTheAnt

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Judging based off of their size, though, I don't think this is Camponotus. Something closer would be Nylanderia, Paratrechina, or Lasius.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24

PhilDO

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 am

Thank you all for your help! I did what you said and they're alive! I'm getting ready to release them. Btw, after some time they did start eating in the middle of winter. I put them on a table and opened a window on top of them. But somehow the workers managed to slip through vaseline and through the holes of the terrarium :D.so,now i have workers crawling on my bedroom table haha!Fortunately the queen can't go through the holes because she's too wide for them. I learned that the hard way, when they were moving. Any tips on how do i stop them from climbing? I know vaseline doesn't work and they slipped past the baby powder-alcohol barrier. Maybe i put too much baby powder? Can someone tell me what ratio does the baby powder : rubbing alcohol has to be?