Solenopsis invicta flew in Georgia

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

i2chip

Solenopsis invicta flew in Georgia

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Solenopsis invicta flew on 4/23/2016 we a had short, but heavy, afternoon thunderstorms the day before.
I captured about 85 queens :D I'm putting 2-3 per test tube and I'm pretty sure most of them, if not all, are mated.
I caught all of them in my backyard from one spot, in front of my pool filter saving them from getting sucked in :lol:

Marandola

Re: Solenopsis invicta flew in Georgia

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:53 pm

85 queens!? Good job and I wish you luck on it :D.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:05 pm

i2chip wrote:Solenopsis invicta flew on 4/23/2016 we a had short, but heavy, afternoon thunderstorms the day before.
I captured about 85 queens :D I'm putting 2-3 per test tube and I'm pretty sure most of them, if not all, are mated.
I caught all of them in my backyard from one spot, in front of my pool filter saving them from getting sucked in :lol:

Nice haul! Good luck with them. If they flew there then I'll be watching in AL.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

idahoantgirl

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:42 pm

i2chip wrote:Solenopsis invicta flew on 4/23/2016 we a had short, but heavy, afternoon thunderstorms the day before.
wow! What are you gonna do with em all? Lol, just think that if you hadn't caught them they would have all made nests in your yard :shock:
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

thefishmansc

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm

They also flew in South Carolina. I saw them flying from their hills yesterday and looked all day, but didn't find any. I went walking around again today and found a queen wandering around near my house. I only found one, but I am happy I finally found my first queen ant.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:21 pm

thefishmansc wrote:They also flew in South Carolina. I saw them flying from their hills yesterday and looked all day, but didn't find any. I went walking around again today and found a queen wandering around near my house. I only found one, but I am happy I finally found my first queen ant.
Little tactic, if you have a mound they are flying from take a white sheet and place it about 10-20' from the mound in t he direction the wind is blowing and watch for them on the sheet. :)
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

i2chip

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:15 pm

idahoantgirl wrote: wow! What are you gonna do with em all? Lol, just think that if you hadn't caught them they would have all made nests in your yard :shock:
If I hadn't have caught them they would have died lol. I found most of them on the surface of my pool. And I don't know what I'm going to do with them. Maybe I'll join the GAN. I certainly don't need all of them :lol:

My S. invicta Queens: I have 8 test tubes with 3 queens each, 29 test tubes with 2 queens each, and 2 test tubes with 1 queen each.

idahoantgirl

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:23 pm

i2chip wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote: wow! What are you gonna do with em all? Lol, just think that if you hadn't caught them they would have all made nests in your yard :shock:
If I hadn't have caught them they would have died lol. I found most of them on the surface of my pool. And I don't know what I'm going to do with them. Maybe I'll join the GAN. I certainly don't need all of them :lol:

My S. invicta Queens: I have 8 test tubes with 3 queens each, 29 test tubes with 2 queens each, and 2 test tubes with 1 queen each.
oh, I see. Let me rephrase that sentence: Lol, just think that if you hadn't caught them you would have had a yucky pool! :P
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Mdrogun

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:28 pm

I want a Solenopsis queen so bad! We don't have them up here in Chicago :cry:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Mdrogun wrote:I want a Solenopsis queen so bad! We don't have them up here in Chicago :cry:
LOL well move down south! We have TONS of them! There isn't a day that goes by I don't see 10-25 mounds in my work travel.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin