Feeding Pogonomyrmex californicus grains?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

DeeJayX

Feeding Pogonomyrmex californicus grains?

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Next spring I hope to find a Pogonomyrmex californicus queen. Looking at the care sheet it says Diet: granivorous, insectivorous, honey water/sugar water. The protein and carbs seam easy enough. But the Granivorous part got me a bit confused. Is it as easy as getting some seeds from the local nursery or do I need something more than that? The local Pogonomyrmex are seen caring plats that look like foxtail barley. I guess that i could just go out side and harvest some but I fear that I could bring in poisons or persists. Any help it this area would be a ton of help.

On a side note. What’s the difference of a queen that is Obligate forager or Semi-claustral?

antnest8

Re: Feeding Pogonomyrmex californicus grains?

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:53 am

I would just add some seeds. they would eat most seeds given to them. As for the second question i have no idea i would guess that they are the same.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

DeeJayX

Re: Feeding Pogonomyrmex californicus grains?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:14 am

antnest8 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:53 am
I would just add some seeds. they would eat most seeds given to them. As for the second question i have no idea i would guess that they are the same.
Thanks for the answers and sorry for the late reply. Sometimes I overthink things. I'll just get seed from the local stors