sand as hydration media??

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Natebillsyou

sand as hydration media??

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:29 pm

Trying to find someone that uses just sand as hydration media I would like more in depth information about it

thanks
Searching for
C. Pennsylvanicus
C. americanus
USA missouri region

AntFarmer7

Re: sand as hydration media??

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:04 pm

I use just sand for my Lasius colony and they’re doing fine! I just put in some more water when the sand looks dry. Just make sure not to drown them!
Keeping one colony of Lasius Niger

Ants are creatures of little strength,
yet they store up their food in the summer;
Proverbs 30:25

Hunter36o

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 am

I actually experimented with this with the founded stages and one of my queen's was put into a wet sand set up.
The pros I found to this is the queen is able to set her self a lovely chamber of her own design the workers once that arrive will begin renovations almost immediately. That particular queen's founding colony is booming. Now I do have a bigger starter colony but they had a head start as the queen in the sand was caught at the end of Lasius season. Her brood count and worker numbers in terms of time out weights the rest with growth speed.
The only issue with the sand I found is visibility. I cannot monitor her as well as the others as they are all in test tube set ups and no sands and dirt.
You will need to water this sand a minimum of twice a week however I would suggest 3-4 times for ideal conditions.

Sorry for the read but I hope this helps with your decision to use sand.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Natebillsyou

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks for the info I'm using a hybrid nest 2.0 so the sand is under the nest the ants have no access to it I did put some dirt in the chambers for them to play with tho
Searching for
C. Pennsylvanicus
C. americanus
USA missouri region

Hunter36o

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Ooooh. I do not know sorry. I've only seen Mickey use cotton in his.
Same as above still applies, only you may get away with only twice a week given the quantity. I'd say give it a shot. The media is the easiest part to clean and replace so trial and error can come into play.
Just find out how you can tell the ants do not have enough humidity and monitor them from there.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.