Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

CaptainAnt2005

Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:39 am

Does anyone know if these ants sting? I have seen tons of these wild colonies in my area and they seem like a good species to keep.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:32 pm

CaptainAnt2005 wrote:
Does anyone know if these ants sting? I have seen tons of these wild colonies in my area and they seem like a good species to keep.
Yes they sting. And it is somewhat painful ;) I have been stung several times by these girls. As you have deduced, they are a good species to keep though. I have a four year old colony that is doing great. They are pretty easy to care for as they are primarily seed eaters. I feed them crushed grain (that I feed to my chickens) and that's pretty much it. I've tried other things, but they like the crushed grains the best.

I have noticed that they prefer a soil formicarium as they love to dig. What are your thoughts for a formicarium?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsDakota

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Another interesting thing about this species is that South Dakota is part of their eastern range. They are one of the few species of Pogonomyrmex that live this far north.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:32 pm
CaptainAnt2005 wrote:
Yes they sting. And it is somewhat painful ;) I have been stung several times by these girls. As you have deduced, they are a good species to keep though. I have a four year old colony that is doing great. They are pretty easy to care for as they are primarily seed eaters. I feed them crushed grain (that I feed to my chickens) and that's pretty much it. I've tried other things, but they like the crushed grains the best.

I have noticed that they prefer a soil formicarium as they love to dig. What are your thoughts for a formicarium?
I wouldn’t have a formicarium preference for this species except one that it is relatively dry.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25