Suggestion protein source

Make your suggestions here.
soon5799

Suggestion protein source

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:13 am

Guys my ant species is polyrhachis ammon the golden tailed spiny ant, any suggestions for the proteins source????( I don't like to kill insect) Help!!! Please!!!!! 😓😓😓😓

AntFarmer7

Re: Suggestion protein source

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:52 pm

You could try protein jelly or syrup
Keeping one colony of Lasius Niger

Ants are creatures of little strength,
yet they store up their food in the summer;
Proverbs 30:25

JoeHostile1

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:01 am

The fact is that ants eat bugs. So you’ve got yourself a Dilemma by keeping a pet who’s food source you’re not comfortable providing. Kind of like getting a cat or dog and refusing to feed them meat.

I freeze bugs before I feed them to my ants. I’m nearly certain it’s absolutely painless. You may wish to look at it not as though you’re killing insects, but as though you are keeping a whole colony of insects alive (your ants).

Sure you can probably get by buying protein jelly, but that protein had to come from somewhere.... same with if you fed them table scraps, your still feeding them meat which was alive at some point.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 am

Circle of life mate.
Respect it and listen to it.
Keep in mind your not a murderer, you are not killing bugs for your own ammusment.
Believe me, I get you. I hate having to kill a cricket but my ants have to eat and I feel a lot better pre killing a fresh cricket over turning an ants outworld into fight night at the MGM Grand. Yano?

It is heartbreaking but not giving your pets what they need most will have an even greater heartbreaking effect.
As mentioned above freezing is a good way to do it. After less then five minutes they will all be in a frozen painless sleep.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.