Advice on found colony.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Mattisius

Advice on found colony.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 am

I was doing yard work and cutting down trees and happened upon a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony inside a section of hallowed out tree that almost went into the fire. I was wanting to try and keep it because I actually found the queen and about 50-80 workers. I’m not sure what the best approach would be. I know that the ants usually remain inactive in the winter which they seem to be now. Should I attempt to move them to a formicarium, or should I just place their log inside a bin with a water and food source and wait for the weather to warm or bring them inside to warm up?

ClashOwenBash

Re: Advice on found colony.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:13 am

Mattisius wrote:
I was doing yard work and cutting down trees and happened upon a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony inside a section of hallowed out tree that almost went into the fire. I was wanting to try and keep it because I actually found the queen and about 50-80 workers. I’m not sure what the best approach would be. I know that the ants usually remain inactive in the winter which they seem to be now. Should I attempt to move them to a formicarium, or should I just place their log inside a bin with a water and food source and wait for the weather to warm or bring them inside to warm up?
Wait for when they leave hibernation, then move them into a formicarium.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

UnrealSparks

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:42 am

Mattisius wrote:
As Clash said.

Wait until February/March, when they'll come out of hibernation, and only then move the log somewhere where you can collect the colony.

Warming them up now would mean to bother their natural cycle and thus destabilizing the health of the colony.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

Mattisius

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 am

Ok thanks. Until then should I just leave them in the storage been inside the section of log? And should I provide water and auger and protein sources? Because I live in Mississippi where it doesn’t get too cold, but even in winter there are some warm days.

UnrealSparks

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:49 am

Mattisius wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 am
Ok thanks. Until then should I just leave them in the storage been inside the section of log? And should I provide water and auger and protein sources? Because I live in Mississippi where it doesn’t get too cold, but even in winter there are some warm days.
Yeah, I'd leave them where they are for now. If you want, and you see them foraging, you can provide them some sugar water but no protein is needed since they don't lay eggs during winter.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Yea what they said! Hats off to ya for wanting to adopt this colony and not simply turning them into ash! More people need to understand how important of a role ants play in our ecosystem, just like the importance of bees!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: