AntNoobster’s Iridomyrmex. Bicknelli Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AntNoobster

AntNoobster’s Iridomyrmex. Bicknelli Journal

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Gday all,
i recently got my first workers in my iridomyrmex bicknelli colony so i decided to make a journal on it.
They are housed in a plastic container as when i caught the queen i didnt have any test tubes —i later bought some— so you’ll have to bare with the bad photography.
There are currently only 6 workers. Here’s a question i need answered: how often do i feed the ants honey and protein?
Wish me luck! ⬇️
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

AntNoobster

Re: AntNoobster’s Iridomyrmex. Bicknelli Journal

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 am

sorry, the images didnt work
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

AntNoobster

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 am

This is a mid week update:
I got a new worker so that makes 7
One of my other queens also just got her workers but I won't be making a journal on that colony.
I fed them honey yesterday and they havent really been drinking it. I fed them a small spider from my garden ( i know i shouldnt feed insects from my garden but im not allowed to get anything from the pet store) and they ate that pretty quick.
Thats all for this mid week update! cya!

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

JoeHostile1

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:19 am

A small colony like that you can feed once or twice a week. If you attach a tube to their test tube that goes to a foraging area you can just leave food for them in the outworld. They will come and get it when they want it. That way you can leave sugar water or hunny for them 24/7.

Then you just give them as much insects as they want. If you drop 3 bugs in there and they take them all then drop a couple more until they stop taking them. This will give you a feel of how much food they want to be fed and how often.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntNoobster

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:46 am

UPDATE 1
Hey guys, this is the 1st update on my iridomyrmex. bicknelli colony. They have grown to 11 wokers and the queen is started to get more filled with eggs so i cant wait for an explosion of the amount of brood. I fed them a spider leg and some honey and they consumed them quick.
Pictures in next reply

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

AntNoobster

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 am

IMAGES

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

antnest8

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm

That looks like a well fed queen!
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntNoobster

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:02 am

UPDATE 2
Hey guys, my Iridomyrmex Bicknelli colony has been growing quite alot this week with 7 new workers! I've been feeding them flies and honey. I just made a formicarrium but it is still drying as it is made of plaster of paris. There isnt really much left to say so lets get to the pictures!
|
V

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.