Feeding a tarantula to fire ants is cruel!

If a topic gets too hot, we move it into this section. Keep posts clean, objective, and free of hating/shaming/cursing/bashing. Failure to comply will merit posts or topics to be deleted.

Moderator: ooper01

GeekyRaptor

Feeding a tarantula to fire ants is cruel!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm leaving this forum and I unsubscribed from AntsCanada YouTube channel. I don't care if fire ants would eat a tarantula in the wild, in no way is it humane or necessary to feed a live tarantula to fire ants, on purpose no less! Mike did this purely to grab more YouTube viewers and subscribers, and I am ashamed to have ever been a part of it. I am angry and if I didn't know better that is animal abuse, I mean... Who was looking out for the tarantula?! I am horrified and disgusted at the carelessness and sensationalism of the AntsCanada YouTube channel.
Hobbyist PC game developer and artist, with a enthusiasm for ant farms!

CEOofAntColony

Re: Feeding a tarantula to fire ants is cruel!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:08 pm

I need proof, where's the link to that video? Or are you mistaken he fed his dead Goddess of Antiverse?

UnrealSparks

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Ehm... have you watched the video...??
The tarantula had died of old age and he simply fed the corpse to his fire ants... it was not alive at all.

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5SgO0doDq8
Keeping the following species:

- Messor Barbarus
- Pheidole Pallidula
- Camponotus Barbaricus
- Lasius Niger
- Lasius Flavus
- Lasius Emarginatus

cheetawolf

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:44 pm

GeekyRaptor wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:25 pm
I'm leaving this forum and I unsubscribed from AntsCanada YouTube channel. I don't care if fire ants would eat a tarantula in the wild, in no way is it humane or necessary to feed a live tarantula to fire ants, on purpose no less! Mike did this purely to grab more YouTube viewers and subscribers, and I am ashamed to have ever been a part of it. I am angry and if I didn't know better that is animal abuse, I mean... Who was looking out for the tarantula?! I am horrified and disgusted at the carelessness and sensationalism of the AntsCanada YouTube channel.
Are you ****? lol, his spider was dead, it was clearly not 'Alive' if you watched the video you would know. .. .. people these days
yay for ants!

keeping
15x lasius niger/americanus

founding
1x tetramorium immigrans

searching for
c. pennsylvanicus

GAN farmer in richmond BC

GeekyRaptor

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 am

He said it put up a good fight, it couldn't of done that in any capacity if it was already dead, I could even see it fighting the ants.

GeekyRaptor

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 am

For all he knows it was molting...

cheetawolf

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pm

GeekyRaptor wrote:
He said it put up a good fight, it couldn't of done that in any capacity if it was already dead, I could even see it fighting the ants.
She put up a good fight as in she managed to kill some ants with the fibers of her hairs, inableing them to escape. First of all, mikey knows what he's doing hes been at this for a long long time. He would know wether the tarantula was molting, and to the trained eye she was clearly dead, her legs lay in an untense position and her thorax was clearly dented, even if she was alive the bite of the fire ants would have triggered her fight or flight response. AND ive seen all of his videos, he loved that tarantula so much, he would never do such a thing for entertainment, heck, he wouldnt even feed the beetle larva because of his affection to them. Seriously mikey is a good guy
yay for ants!

keeping

founding
1x tetramorium immigrans

searching for
c. pennsylvanicus

idahoantgirl

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:22 pm

GeekyRaptor wrote:
You may have seen the legs move on occasion. The ants were moving the legs themselves. Remember, ants are extremely strong and were capable of tugging on the legs in a way that made it only appear like the tarantula still had mobility. :)

Also a quick note to everyone else: No need to respond with immature childish insults, even when responding to a post that may have been created in a spur of emotion after a misunderstanding.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

cheetawolf

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:05 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:22 pm
GeekyRaptor wrote:
You may have seen the legs move on occasion. The ants were moving the legs themselves. Remember, ants are extremely strong and were capable of tugging on the legs in a way that made it only appear like the tarantula still had mobility. :)

Also a quick note to everyone else: No need to respond with immature childish insults, even when responding to a post that may have been created in a spur of emotion after a misunderstanding.
Right "immature childish" i dont know why, maybe because... im an immature child and he just insulted my hero, so uh, yeah id say it was pretty necessary
yay for ants!

keeping

founding
1x tetramorium immigrans

searching for
c. pennsylvanicus

cheetawolf

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 pm

GeekyRaptor wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 am
For all he knows it was molting...
well???
yay for ants!

keeping

founding
1x tetramorium immigrans

searching for
c. pennsylvanicus