Queens I have found so far

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

martinnate

Queens I have found so far

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Ok So I found 4 queens so far. I will only show 3 on here this time. Please correct if the ID I have is wrong.

1st I was told is Camponotus noveboracencis. I found her March 26, 2016 in Cisco Texas East and close to Ih 20. I put her in a test tube, put her in the closet with the water heater, and didn't look at her until last Tuesday, March 29, 2016, she looked healthy, I got back in town on Monday and looked at her and took this pic. She has one egg.

2nd I was told was Solenopsis xyloni, then was told not Solenopsis but Tetramorium sp. I found her 2/16/2016 in Cisco Texas.

and 3rd one I don't know, was told not an ant but I wanted to double check again.

i2chip

Re: Queens I have found so far

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 am

I can't ID the ant for you (or any ant for that matter xD ), but the 3rd ant sure looks like a queen ant to me. I'm just guessing on the way that the antennae are shaped though.

martinnate

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:21 am

Thats what I said, but the last pic I posted they were straight so they thought she was a bee of some sort.

Mdrogun

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:05 pm

Hold on. I am rethinking my ID of Tetramorium sp. e. In the picture you posted in the ID thread of the Solenopsis xyloni queen, the queen looked black while I can clearly see red on her in the picture you posted in this thread. If she has red on her then she is Solenopsis xyloni. If she is all black she is Tetramorium sp. e. Color is extremely important when identifying ants.

martinnate

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:28 pm

She is more red than black

Mdrogun

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:53 pm

martinnate wrote:She is more red than black

Then I apologize for my false ID. I have kept Tetramorium sp. e and have seen many pictures of Solenopsis xyloni and will be getting a colony soon. The queens look similar so, if the color is off because of lighting or other reasons it can screw up and ID.

I made an update on my Tetramorium sp. e in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U_yOaRJEB4

You can see the queen fairly well. They look very similar to Solenopsis xyloni except they are all black.

martinnate

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:46 am

So I was just outside checking on a stray cat I caught last night, i put a towle over the cage she is in to keep her calmb and flying around the towle was a bug similer to the one in the 3rd pic in this post that I still dont know what it is. Maybe not an ant but I think Im going to keep it until it is properly ID or dies. It still has wings on it and its Gaster is pointed not realy round and isnt swollen looking like most Queen ants.

Marandola

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Isn't the third one a male?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:41 pm

martinnate wrote:So I was just outside checking on a stray cat I caught last night, i put a towle over the cage she is in to keep her calmb and flying around the towle was a bug similer to the one in the 3rd pic in this post that I still dont know what it is. Maybe not an ant but I think Im going to keep it until it is properly ID or dies. It still has wings on it and its Gaster is pointed not realy round and isnt swollen looking like most Queen ants.
Pointed gaster not round usually means it's a male.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: