Forelius pruinosis Journal(my dream species)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Bierschneeman

Re: Forelius pruinosis Journal(my dream species)

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 am

I just peeked in at my queen. (before the sun rises I switch my LED to red and remove the cover off the viewing side)

I have been putting 1.5mls of water into the hole twice a week, because she has no access to water otherwise, seems to be working. She is set up near the hole and her eggs are now a small pile of larva. YAY!!

I still see no other ants in the enclosure so I am sure that despite only counting 7, the 8th must have also died off (from DE, see previous posts)

I wonder if she can see in Red, because she reacted to my peeking, leaving her clutch to pace, I will continue to leave her be weeks at a time just in case. (it could be my LEDs are not solely producing red, or maybe its the noise or vibration of peeking.)

Meanwhile the outdoor colony did a lot of moving after the late summer rains started, so now instead of having 6 in the bare patch in front of my door (a central area in the parking concrete, used to house flower garden and tree long before I moved in.) They have all moved further away from my door, spreading out down the driveway. This has pushed the last of the fire ants off the property, BUT. I still have one very very large colony 100 ft from my door in the opposite direction. There is a rotting stump just off the property line housing all sorts of life, but specifically, the termites were all wiped out and the fire ants grew massive doing so (HIGH percentage of Majors)

The colonies have also started getting harder to find, maybe its the constant rain, or maybe its the shrinking days, but they are no longer building their HUGE colloseums, instead I find modest holes with a bit of dirt like you'd find for a Pheidole colony, or a Brachymyrmex colony.

It was still 80s F last week , today marks the beginning of a very early autumn for Louisiana starting this morning with a cool front. It will be 60s and 40s next two weeks (typical January weather.) Not sure if this will make the inactivity worse.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Nice! I hope the colony grows toward the other fire ants now.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JoeHostile1

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:24 am

Bierschneeman wrote:
I just peeked in at my queen. (before the sun rises I switch my LED to red and remove the cover off the viewing side)

I wonder if she can see in Red, because she reacted to my peeking, leaving her clutch to pace, I will continue to leave her be weeks at a time just in case. (it could be my LEDs are not solely producing red, or maybe its the noise or vibration of peeking.)
They can’t see the color red. So if an object is red it will appear to be a different color to them. This actully has nothing to do with light (which is every colour). So by putting a red tint on a lightbulb this does not cancel out light for ants. And even if the red tint made light invisible (it doesn’t) they can still detect light with their Ocelli eyes. Ocelli Are organs specifically for detecting light and movement, but do not produce an image. Most ant species have 3 of them and they are located on the top of the head between the eyes.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Bierschneeman

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Bierschneeman wrote:

They can’t see the color red. So if an object is red it will appear to be a different color to them. This actully has nothing to do with light (which is every colour). So by putting a red tint on a lightbulb this does not cancel out light for ants. And even if the red tint made light invisible (it doesn’t) they can still detect light with their Ocelli eyes. Ocelli Are organs specifically for detecting light and movement, but do not produce an image. Most ant species have 3 of them and they are located on the top of the head between the eyes.
Good information, good to know.
Thank you.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

AntsDakota

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:44 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Bierschneeman wrote:

This is proof that red light or film does not work on ants.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25