Lasius Niger problems

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: Lasius Niger problems

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

AntAnett wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 am
My problematic L. niger Queen died. It Happened yesterday. It's sad, really sad. But this colony wasn't OK from the beginning. The Queen didn't have much offspring. She had a lot of eggs, and larvae, but those were dissapearing quickly, so they were often eatten. They have honney, and insects to eat, they were never hungry.

But still I have other colonies, and they all are doing fine.
Sorry to hear that. Just a quick question. How often did you check on them?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:17 am

AntAnett wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 am
My problematic L. niger Queen died. It Happened yesterday. It's sad, really sad. But this colony wasn't OK from the beginning. The Queen didn't have much offspring. She had a lot of eggs, and larvae, but those were dissapearing quickly, so they were often eatten. They have honney, and insects to eat, they were never hungry.

But still I have other colonies, and they all are doing fine.
Don't worry this can happen to everyone. Also Lasius Niger does not need any food during founding. The first nanitics could do with some food tho. But in general it's best not to feed the queen unless you moved her without her eggs or if the colony got at least 1 nanitic.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntAnett

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 am

They were my first ant colony so I've cheacked on them to often I gues. I gave them food often, every 3 days maybe, mealworms, crickets. Sometimes they were eatting a bit, sometime they refused, They had honey also. But They're _t-Tube run out of water, and They had access to fresh T-Tube, but refuse to go there. They may just run out of water. There were only 4-6 workers, they've seen fresh t-tube, They've been there, but it might be a problem for them to transfer enough water to old T-Tube. And it was short way, so it shouldn't be a problem. But all of this is only me trying to see some reson of this dead. The fact is, the T-Tube was dirty and moldy, really moldy. It could be some bacteries or so.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmiM_PNwB9wuId1eRfE0WDA/videos

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 am

Well I sugguested that you just force them to move by dropping the queen into a new nest. But anyway. It was your first try and my colony didn't even made it to a nice nest. :C
Only a bigger area.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.