Protein jelly for feeding ants

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

opineault

Protein jelly for feeding ants

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am

Hello,

I saw in a video that a person was using Protein Jelly to feed their ants. This seemed like an easy alternative to acquiring/keeping feeder insects. But, they were in Europe and I haven't found anything similar so far locally in Canada or through Amazon, etc.

Currently I just have a queen ant, so having a small amount of this protein jelly (that I could freeze I suppose?) seems super convenient.

Anyone know of any sources, or any other easy protein to use? I think in my research I saw someone refer to it also as beetle jelly.

AdamKnapp

Re: Protein jelly for feeding ants

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Try getting that stuff from ants depot. I believe that some colonies will take the jelly but other more stubborn colonies will try to avoid it. I wouldn't use it as a primary source of food but its up to you. I got two jelly packets and my ants (besides my camponotus) accepted it but its not their favorite. So far, I haven't needed to refrigerate it but it probably shouldn't just be left out. Sorry for responding so late btw.

AntsDakota

Re: Protein jelly for feeding ants

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:17 pm

I wouldn't think protein jelly would be as healthy for ants as gut-loaded insects would. It just isn't natural. Technology just can't duplicate creation.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25