My first queen

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Trooper

My first queen

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 pm

I’ve caught my first queen and it wasn’t after nuptial flight. I raided her, some brood and some workers. I didnt expect to find her like this. I was expecting to catch one after nuptial flight. Since I’ve caught this one that was already half way settled in. Some new questions have said since arisen.
I don’t know what she is. But I got her I’d say 10-15 workers and some brood. Right now it’s 2 test tubes taped together with about half a test tube with dirt as well.
So to the questions. Since she is already settled in, I’m going to need to feed the colony? How frequently? Should I try to get them all in just one test tube? I’m scarred I got to much room for em. I put all the dirt in there because the brood was mixed in. Is there a good way to separate brood from dirt to get rid of dirt or just let me do there thing? How many workers till I should move into a formicarium? I’m curious about hibernation as well but I should probably figure out what she is first.. sorry so many question..

Trooper

Re: My first queen

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:50 am

this link should have the best pics I was able to get
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rHQT5PP-5f-OdAJrSLnYgm2Vu1bEqmhO?usp=sharing

AntsDakota

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Trooper wrote:
I’ve caught my first queen and it wasn’t after nuptial flight. I raided her, some brood and some workers. I didnt expect to find her like this. I was expecting to catch one after nuptial flight. Since I’ve caught this one that was already half way settled in. Some new questions have said since arisen.
I don’t know what she is. But I got her I’d say 10-15 workers and some brood. Right now it’s 2 test tubes taped together with about half a test tube with dirt as well.
So to the questions. Since she is already settled in, I’m going to need to feed the colony? How frequently? Should I try to get them all in just one test tube? I’m scarred I got to much room for em. I put all the dirt in there because the brood was mixed in. Is there a good way to separate brood from dirt to get rid of dirt or just let me do there thing? How many workers till I should move into a formicarium? I’m curious about hibernation as well but I should probably figure out what she is first.. sorry so many question..
You have no need for dirt, as a normal test tube setup will be sufficient for her. You don't need to feed them during the founding stage, but after they have workers, feed them a drop of honey and a piece of an insect.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Trooper

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:53 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:37 pm
Trooper wrote:
You have no need for dirt, as a normal test tube setup will be sufficient for her. You don't need to feed them during the founding stage, but after they have workers, feed them a drop of honey and a piece of an insect.
Thank you for the information.
The only reason for the dirt was because I wasn’t trying to sift the brood out. When I found her nest in the wild she had brood and workers already so I’m scarred she has already gone through her own food supply. I have about 12 workers and a nice little pile of brood now in the tube setup.

JoeHostile1

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am

Yes you need to provide them food. The founding stage is over. How often do you need to feed them? That depends on much food they take and how much you leave at one time. Give them some food and if they take it all into the test tubes then give them some more until they stop taking it. Then in a few days see if they take more food. This is how you get a feel for how much food your ants want.

As far as separating the brood from the dirt, the ants can probably do that themselves. Typically you don’t really want dirt in the test tubes, but too late to worry about that now
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA