Ant eggs question/advice

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

HaydenP

Ant eggs question/advice

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:16 am

Not sure if this was the right section to post under, but I am new to ant keeping and am founding what I believe to be solenopsis invicta ants. I live in southeast Louisiana, so that’s really all I seem to find right now because I started kinda late. Anyways, I noticed two out of the three queens laid quite a few eggs about a week ago and was wondering the time frame that the ant eggs would turn into the first workers. I’ve read online about it but cannot come to a definite answer. Any help/advice is useful so thanks in advance!
Founding:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Darkhero0987

Re: Ant eggs question/advice

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 am

HaydenP wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:16 am
Not sure if this was the right section to post under, but I am new to ant keeping and am founding what I believe to be solenopsis invicta ants. I live in southeast Louisiana, so that’s really all I seem to find right now because I started kinda late. Anyways, I noticed two out of the three queens laid quite a few eggs about a week ago and was wondering the time frame that the ant eggs would turn into the first workers. I’ve read online about it but cannot come to a definite answer. Any help/advice is useful so thanks in advance!
If I remember right I believe they grow really fast they're one of the faster ones to develop 1 month tops I think befor first worker I could be wrong it could be shorter then that maybe even 15 days if what I read is right.
Founding:

Keeping

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 am

It would really depend on what colony you have. Usually it takes about 1 month. To make sure it's solenopsis you could provide us with some photos so we could try to give her the right identification.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

HaydenP

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:40 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 am
It would really depend on what colony you have. Usually it takes about 1 month. To make sure it's solenopsis you could provide us with some photos so we could try to give her the right identification.
I’m sorry the quality is pretty grainy. I’m using my phone camera because I’m in college and my actual camera is at my house. This is just one but they all look exactly the same except one has a wing, while the others have shed theirs. They are about 8-10mm and as previously stated, they were found in southeast Louisiana. If needed, I can try to take better pics.
https://imgur.com/gallery/dRvtCBZ
Founding:

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:27 am

that are a lot of eggs :D
Try to keep her warm so they can grow. Perhaps try to put her on a warmer place.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

HaydenP

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Try to keep her warm so they can grow. Perhaps try to put her on a warmer place.
Yeah, the eggs came out of nowhere. The first couple days there were only a few and now it’s a huge pile. And thanks for the advice. I have her in a pretty warm spot right now but I’ll try and find an even warmer place.
Founding:

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:10 pm

HaydenP wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 am
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Yeah, the eggs came out of nowhere. The first couple days there were only a few and now it’s a huge pile. And thanks for the advice. I have her in a pretty warm spot right now but I’ll try and find an even warmer place.
You could actually go and buy yourself a love voltage heat matt. It give out a heat arround 25°C I guess. No idea tho. Never had one ^^
But if you do don't put it under the water. Just put it under the exit so the queen can still hydro and thermo regulate. And also keeps the water from turning bad as quickly.