Merging Solenopsis molesta colonies

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Merging Solenopsis molesta colonies

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:26 pm

I've successfully merged Solenopsis molesta many times with no problems, and this is how I will continue to perpetuate the Royal Legion, my S. molesta colony. I will merge them with newly mated queens and maybe mature colonies every year.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Re: Merging Solenopsis molesta colonies

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:54 am

I though the Solenopsis group only had single queen supspecies??
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:54 am
I though the Solenopsis group only had single queen supspecies??
Solenopsis molesta is commonly known as the grease ant or thief ant. They are not fire ants, and are only one or two mm long. Their queens are 5 millimeters. They are highly polygynous like their cousin Solenopsis invicta. They are a golden color and look sort of like tiny Tetramorium workers. They steal from other ant colonies and can slip around larger ants without them noticing due to their small size. They even eat the brood of other ants. They don't like sweet foods, but prefer grease. Queens only live 1-2 years since they are so small. But they can grow colonies to a few thousand workers in that short period of time.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:42 am

See this is why I hate Ireland I am missing out on so many ants :(

Do you have a journal on this colony of yours I can read?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Hunter36o wrote:

My Solenopsis molesta colony

AntsDakota

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Hunter36o wrote:

Actually, no one in Europe has even seen Solenopsis molesta before. (unless they traveled to North America, that is.)

AntsDakota

And by the way, I'd much rather keep Lasius niger and flavus than neoniger and americanus.

TheRealAntMan

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:58 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Hunter36o wrote:

Actually, no one in Europe has even seen Solenopsis molesta before. (unless they traveled to North America, that is.)
Europe might not have Solenopsis Molesta, but they do have Solenopsis Fugax a close relative of Solenopsis Molesta. And although they are rare, they have been recorded in Northern Ireland but have probably spread down to the rest of the country.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Hunter36o

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:20 am

TheRealAntMan wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:
Hunter36o wrote:

Europe might not have Solenopsis Molesta, but they do have Solenopsis Fugax a close relative of Solenopsis Molesta. And although they are rare, they have been recorded in Northern Ireland but have probably spread down to the rest of the country.
Yeah since this is my first year I have not gone out of Dublin just yet to see what ants are about. I thought I was going to get at least one queen of tetramorium but I ended up with two different Myrmica species.

Why would you prefer Niger's and Flavus? Do they differ in traits the stand out over the other?

AntsDakota

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:17 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:20 am
TheRealAntMan wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:

Yeah since this is my first year I have not gone out of Dublin just yet to see what ants are about. I thought I was going to get at least one queen of tetramorium but I ended up with two different Myrmica species.

Why would you prefer Niger's and Flavus? Do they differ in traits the stand out over the other?
Lasius niger and flavus colonies are explosive in growth. Lasius neoniger and americanus....... not so much.