Killing cockroaches for food

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Sethinski

Killing cockroaches for food

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pm

I have a Dubia cockroach colony that I used as feeders for my pets but as most of them go to a large reptile, I don't kill them first. So my question is, how would I kill them in a way that the ants could consume them easier? Sorry if this question has already been asked i just don't know.

Batspiderfish

Re: Killing cockroaches for food

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Freezing works well.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

antnest8

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Sethinski wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pm
I have a Dubia cockroach colony that I used as feeders for my pets but as most of them go to a large reptile, I don't kill them first. So my question is, how would I kill them in a way that the ants could consume them easier? Sorry if this question has already been asked i just don't know.
i have faced this problem myself because i feed my colony's mealworms and i can;t bring myself to kill them so i just stick them in the freezer for about 5-10 minuets and the mealworms are dead and ready to be cut up.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

JoeHostile1

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 am

I’d freeze them for much more than 10 minutes though. One time I froze meal worms for that amount of time and they were frozen solid. I gave them to my ants and 20 minutes later they recovered and were squirming all over the place. I had to take them out and freeze them for longer. Although cutting them up probably prevents them from recovering lol.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA