Morbid Buggs ants and bugs and plants

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

MorbidBugg

Re: Morbid Buggs ants and bugs and plants

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:10 pm

As a side note I really like the colour developing on the queen her once noticeably orangish color is darkening to a reddish brown yet staying exceptionally shiny.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

MorbidBugg

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am

Too excited to wait for tuesday
LASIUS MURPHYI HAS A HUGE GASTER AND MULTIPLE EGGS imm so happy this means she's fertile. Huzzah! Sadly I believe my one formica is infertile as she has not laid an egg and she doesn't seem interested in doing so. So I'm at a crossroads do I keep her and feed her till she dies or just let her go and if she is infertile allow her to enjoy her freedom.. the moral pondering of a caring keeper.

MorbidBugg

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:17 am

So this will probably be my last ant update before hibernation. I'll keep it open for my plants. Through the winter with minor updates.

As the season comes close to an end and all the room is begining to slow. Many of my fruits and veggies have been harvest and are waiting to be chopped down for the winter run. I might grow lettuce dandelions maybe some jalapeños but mostly leafy stuff for the winter months.

The ant colonies

First we will start with the newest addition

Lasius sp. joins our little group. she hasn't laid since I checked last but that's okay I don't expect anything until spring. Maybe next week I'll give her some sugar water one time before hibernation to keep her fuel cells full for the wait.

The formica sisters. Well they have been the most difficult by far. One still hasn't laid any eggs for 2 months now. I'm a little concerned still alive and active just... not doing anything. Her sister,well, she scares and panics at the drop of a pin since founding her she's eaten several eggs and even a pupa. I have reserved to just keep her closed up without peeking to a bi weekly regiment now. Because she is laying she just can't stop canabilzing.

Lasius murphyi and slaves
So yesterday the last starting worker had died and the nest only has new slaves. They pulled alot of dirt into the tube so it makes it diddicult to locate the queen but I'm sure I saw larva and eggs so I'm assuming all is well there. I try not to harass them much. they do not like to be handled let alone attempted to be photographed, as none of any pictures would show. not to mention the mound of dirt. As a precaution I set up a second tube that was clean and covered into their outworld just incase.

Camponotus Novaeboracenis
Not too much to report on they get a fly or cricket every 2 to three days. I can tell when it's time to feed them because now 2 of the 10+ workers seem to patrol where I place their food when it's time to get hungry. I added a simple warm 60 watt light bulb on a shelf a foot above the nesting area and have noticed the pupa and larva kicking into high gear. I'm really hoping I can atleast get the few pupa already developing out before the end of the month. Luckily my building is improperly insulated so in the winter time my one room is always between 2° and 10° so it should be an ideal location as I never use the room, and with no windows in it it's ideal for a quiet cool place for sleeping.. I hope.

Anyway hope you enjoyed reading. Sorry for the lack of pictures I feel I'm at a level of knowledge that I'm hesitant to take pictures of the founding queens and I do plan on getting pictures right before hibernation to confirm my numbers going out of this year and into the new one.

MorbidBugg

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Just wanted to add we have added yet another formicinae to the family. Brachymyrmex Depilis No common name... till now. Aka. The tiny tiny ants

That's right if it has no common name it's up for grabs, so I'll take it.

So welcome to the family tiny tiny ants may you enjoy your stay with our happy little family.

Formicabuilder

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 pm

MorbidBugg wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 pm
Just wanted to add we have added yet another formicinae to the family. Brachymyrmex Depilis No common name... till now. Aka. The tiny tiny ants

That's right if it has no common name it's up for grabs, so I'll take it.

So welcome to the family tiny tiny ants may you enjoy your stay with our happy little family.
Just out of curiosity have you woken your ants up from winter yet? How are they doing?