Queen Ant Trap?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Queen Ant Trap?

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Hey guys! It's been along time since I've posted. I guess when ants go on hibernating, so does the forum!
I was wondering, with nuptial flight season coming up, if we could all put our heads together to make a queen ant trap! There are so many unique animal traps made for specific purposes, why not have one for our little hobbie! Hey, if it works, the AntsCanada website could possibly market it and sell it! It could be a solution to those pesky ant species and prevent any more fire ant hills in your backyard :P. Thanks! :D

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Queen Ant Trap?

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Well the only way would be to TENT the mound just after it rained (before noon) and then lay some plastic down near the edges. they would fly, hit the tent and land on the plastic. Other then that there isn't much your going to use to attract the queen to fly in a specific direction.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Ants4fun

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Ants4fun

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Black light traps.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:57 pm

I'll just stick to the tried and true method. I watch a few mounds near my office, look for males to start appearing the next day after a rain. Then when they start swarming for the flight I then go collect the queens around the mound in the concrete/asphalt parking lot. Collected a total of 15 in one day.

http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=563
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

Ants4fun

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:19 am

That only works for Solenopsis, however. There is no such indication for a lot of northern species.

larynx

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:57 pm

the best trap ive found that works for all species.>>> keep your eyes open and containers at your side, day or night, north or south. i have caught almost every sp. in my area at some point or another using this method. i personally like the work of finding the queens. it gives me the chance to learn more about my hobby, when out hunting. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:17 pm

larynx wrote:the best trap ive found that works for all species.>>> keep your eyes open and containers at your side, day or night, north or south. i have caught almost every sp. in my area at some point or another using this method. i personally like the work of finding the queens. it gives me the chance to learn more about my hobby, when out hunting. :D

Yea what he said. I like just wandering around and looking. Hell I like to learn stuff so if by chance while out hunting I see something new thats a PLUS to me!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

AntsRule

Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 pm

I find pools are a great place to look. Just make sure you get them before they drown. :cry:
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.