Large Larvae

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

VerticalPlains

Large Larvae

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 am

So, I have a Formica Fusca (or some genus of Formica) queen, and she has laid her first brood which are all in their pupae stages right now. But when I picked up the test tube about a week ago after checking something I found a bit strange.
There was a larvae in the back of the testable that had been buried under cotton, she barely ever tends to it unlike the larvae (at the time) in the front.
A week later I decided to check on it after getting a bit anxious and now it is absolutely massive, about a third or even half of the queens body and growing. It can be clearly seen when you look at the test tube from the side. Does anyone know what this is?

I can't provide pictures, my phone broke recently on a trip and the only camera I have is on my computer (it isn't that good).

idahoantgirl

Re: Large Larvae

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am

It's possible that your queen may not be mated and is raising males... but without pics it's impossible to tell
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

VerticalPlains

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:39 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am
It's possible that your queen may not be mated and is raising males... but without pics it's impossible to tell
Ok, I really hope that isn't the case...

AntsOfOntario

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm

VerticalPlains wrote:
So, I have a Formica Fusca (or some genus of Formica) queen, and she has laid her first brood which are all in their pupae stages right now. But when I picked up the test tube about a week ago after checking something I found a bit strange.
There was a larvae in the back of the testable that had been buried under cotton, she barely ever tends to it unlike the larvae (at the time) in the front.
A week later I decided to check on it after getting a bit anxious and now it is absolutely massive, about a third or even half of the queens body and growing. It can be clearly seen when you look at the test tube from the side. Does anyone know what this is?

I can't provide pictures, my phone broke recently on a trip and the only camera I have is on my computer (it isn't that good).
Is she a winged queen?

VerticalPlains

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:08 pm

AntsOfOntario wrote:
VerticalPlains wrote:

Is she a winged queen?
No

AntsDakota

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm

VerticalPlains wrote:

The larva is most likely ready to pupate, and she is not tending to it because a pupating larva doesn't need to be tended to, as it has already acquired all food it needs to reach full size. Workers of this species are normally at least half the size of the queen.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:23 pm

AntsOfOntario wrote:
VerticalPlains wrote:

Is she a winged queen?
Just because she is a winged queen doesn't mean she's not mated. AntsCanada once had a Lasius neoniger colony with a winged queen, and sometimes unmated queens loose their wings, on instinct.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

VerticalPlains

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:51 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm
VerticalPlains wrote:

The larva is most likely ready to pupate, and she is not tending to it because a pupating larva doesn't need to be tended to, as it has already acquired all food it needs to reach full size. Workers of this species are normally at least half the size of the queen.
Ok, I didn't know that about larvae or the size of the workers. The only reason I was worried is because it was larger than the rest of the larvae and is buried under a good amount of cotton by her trash area. I wasn't sure if it was just a dead larvae or not until it grew a bit. Im going to check on it again next week or so, I don't want to disturb the queen.

AntsOfOntario

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:23 pm
AntsOfOntario wrote:
VerticalPlains wrote:

Is she a winged queen?
Just because she is a winged queen doesn't mean she's not mated. AntsCanada once had a Lasius neoniger colony with a winged queen, and sometimes unmated queens loose their wings, on instinct.
I never said that. I asked a question.

Beginner

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:26 am

I have two formica fusca queen ant they both laid eggs but stopped they both only have 5 or 6 egg that are pupae already but stopped laying eggs why ?
And tetramorium laid so much but none of the eggs didnt turn into pupae yet and im stuck what do i do help