Workers dying as soon as they hatch?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

WyrdAnt

Workers dying as soon as they hatch?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:08 pm

I have nine Lasius sp. queens and all of them have eggs, larvae & pupae. I checked on them few days ago and saw hatched workers in their test tubes but the thing about this is that they were all white and not moving. Today I checked on them again in case that they were in the middle of hatching or something but they still look the same and the tenth queen I had is now dead! Does somebody know what´s going on and what can I do to help my queens?

idahoantgirl

Re: Workers dying as soon as they hatch?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:22 pm

We need pics. You could just be seeing pupae, which look like white curled up ants that have not hatched yet. What set up are you in? Another possibility is, if they are actually hatched nanitics, that they require food.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ClashOwenBash

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Or their exoskeletons are still hardening which means they can't really do anything. Though your probably just seeing the pupae.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

WyrdAnt

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:15 pm

I´m sure that they are not pupae but hatched ants because the pupae have yellowish color in them and hatched ants are pure white. Good news is that today two of my queens have active worker ants! Other one has five and the other has one. I think that their exoskeletons were still hardening like *** SPAM *** said. I thought that it would not take that long for it to harden and that the ants would start to move as soon as they hatched but looks like that´s not it.

Thanks for the answers! :D