ID BRAZIL

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

ID BRAZIL

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:41 am

Hello guys, I just caught 2 ants, I don't really know if they are queens or not, i'll post some photos.
The test tube don't have water in the photo, but now it has. My phone don't have a good camera so the photos are not very good.
They are my first ants :D if you guys can help me would be great, I don't know their species and if they are good or not for a beginner
Ant 1: Found in the sidewalk
Ant 2: Found walking around some tiny ants, I observed her behaviour I it was very different from all the other ants.

Ant 1:

-------------
Ant 2:

:geek:

jonathan21700

Re: ID BRAZIL

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:19 pm

I can't clearly see but maybe some sort of leaf cutter? Maybe Acromyrmex?
And yes they are queens!

JPSMedeiros

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks, the first one is always trying to scape, the second is in the same position for hours. I'm keeping them in very dark place, don't know if the noise bother them. They are my first ant's and someone said to me that leaf cutters are difficult to keep. I live in the city and I won't be able to get leaves for them... they can live without it?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:14 pm

JPSMedeiros wrote:Thanks, the first one is always trying to scape, the second is in the same position for hours. I'm keeping them in very dark place, don't know if the noise bother them. They are my first ant's and someone said to me that leaf cutters are difficult to keep. I live in the city and I won't be able to get leaves for them... they can live without it?
Nope. Here take a look ------>
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Mdrogun

Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:52 pm

I don't think these are Leafcutters. Even if they were you can use other things like catfood to allow them to grow their fungus. I would just leave them where they are maybe with a drop of honey for a week or so. After that check on them. If they have laid eggs and don't have a fungus pellet spit up then you know they are not Leafcutter ants.

JPSMedeiros

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Should I put a little drop of honey right now ? I saw some videos of AntsCanada and he said that we should only put the honey after the first worker. But.... these ants don't seem to have a fat thorax, só I suppose that they don't have a lot of energy to use after, to survive until the workers.
Other little question, should I just forget them in the dark and don't check them, or can I take a look sometimes daily? I'm really worried because I don't know if I'm doing everything right :?
About the cat food, the fungus works the same way as with leafes?
:roll:

I know that the photo is horrible... but I just want someone to look at the test tube setup and check if its alright:
if there's enought water, enought space for them, if is easy for them to scape...
Note: this is a drawer when I push inside is very dark.

jonathan21700

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:16 pm

If they are leaf cutters there is a chance they have dropped their fungus pellet and can not start a fungus.
If so you can get a small peace of fungus from a wild colony and give it to them.
From these photos I can't see what species they are but in Brazil you can find other easier to keep species.

Gregory2455

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:44 pm

The second one is Acromyrmex for sure.

Marandola

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 pm

Hey Medeiros, I live in Brazil too, São Paulo (interior). I don't know too much about Acromyrmex, but they're easy to find in our country. These ants could be Ectatomma species too, I have one Ectatomma sp. queen and they are similar. Google photos about this genre and tell us what you think.

JPSMedeiros

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm almost sure that they are leaf cutters, so I'll free them where I found. I want to start with a easier specie of ant, to get some experience first. Thanks for the help.