Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Journal | By AntsOntario

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AntsOfOntario

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Journal | By AntsOntario

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:13 am

Hello,
Today I have decided to document the growth of one of the Camponotus Queens I have caught this season. I have noticed that several ant keepers start the colonies journey, but it never continues (myself included). I will try to be consistent with my updates, and if I ever take too long don't be afraid to let me know.
There is a lot to cover since I am not documenting this colony during the founding stage. It was nothing crucial, they had a pretty regular upbringing.

Camponotus Queen Information:
- Caught May 30th
- Was never fed
- Was never checked up on
- Produced first workers on July 5th. (2)

I had left this colony alone in a closet because I had a few other queens that I had decided to experiment with this time around. I checked on one queen every day, and this queen was never checked at all, and they both received workers at relatively the same time. Therefore meaning growth is not always dependant on checkups. This is not always the case though because I find that some queens are just more sensitive to light than others.
Anyway, I am getting off track.

On July 5th, this colony had approximately 2 workers, 8 pupa remaining and 8 new eggs. She received 2 more workers on July 8th. It seemed apparent these workers were enclosing like twins. Never 3 or just 1, always 2 workers. :lol:
As of now (July 29th) this colony has 10 minor workers, 1 median worker, 10+ Pupa, 15 second instar larva and at least 25 eggs.

Now, I have never had a colony so successful like this one. I am noticing they eat more too. Since their 5th worker enclosed I have been feeding them a medium cricket a day and they always have honey in their outworld. That encouraged the queen and shortly after her abdomen was literally bursting from the seams. I thought she was just sneaking out in the Outworld to fill up on honey, but I was wrong! She was full of eggs and now they have tons of brood. However, once finished with their food they do not remove it and now the floor of their AntsAustralia size 1 Ytong nest is full of cricket legs. These ants are so dirty and I don't even know how to clean it up!

I am also noticing some larger pupa so I expect some more median workers and possibly a major to be enclosing due to all of this protein I have been providing. Anyway, that's been a lot of talking, now time for questionably the best part of these journals; the pictures.

When I just caught her

8 Workers

I have not taken any updated pictures because I fear that the queen will not lay to her full potential. Do not worry though, pictures will be on the way soon.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this so far. If you have any questions/comments/concerns I'd love to pass on advice while growing and learning more about the species.
*DISCLAIMER* These posts will all include large pictures because 1. I believe it provides the best viewing experience and secondly, I am not even aware of how to make them smaller haha. I just get them off of my instagram.. I'm still learning. :lol:

AntsOfOntario

Re: Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Journal | By AntsOntario

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 pm

8/7/18 -
This will be a quick update.
The Camponotus colony has produced 17 pupae in addition to their 11 workers. They have a ton of larvae and eggs and the queen is yet again going into her egg-laying period. One worker has hatched today and its head is far larger than any of my other workers. I don't think this is a major, but perhaps it is a media worker.
This colony is growing faster than I ever would've expected. Based on their current brood and what the queen is about to lay, I presume this colony will have at least 30 workers by diapause.

AntsDakota

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 am

AntsOfOntario wrote:
8/7/18 -
The Camponotus colony has produced 17 pupae in addition to their 11 workers. They have a ton of larvae and eggs and the queen is yet again going into her egg-laying period. One worker has hatched today and its head is far larger than any of my other workers. I don't think this is a major, but perhaps it is a media worker.
This colony is growing faster than I ever would've expected. Based on their current brood and what the queen is about to lay, I presume this colony will have at least 30 workers by diapause.
Wow! My colony has 5 workers and 4 pupae and they have worked really hard to get to this point. But 11 workers and 17 pupae?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsIkhlef

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 am

AntsOfOntario wrote:
Hello,
Today I have decided to document the growth of one of the Camponotus Queens I have caught this season. I have noticed that several ant keepers start the colonies journey, but it never continues (myself included). I will try to be consistent with my updates, and if I ever take too long don't be afraid to let me know.
There is a lot to cover since I am not documenting this colony during the founding stage. It was nothing crucial, they had a pretty regular upbringing.

- Caught May 30th
- Was never fed

I had left this colony alone in a closet because I had a few other queens that I had decided to experiment with this time around. I checked on one queen every day, and this queen was never checked at all, and they both received workers at relatively the same time. Therefore meaning growth is not always dependant on checkups. This is not always the case though because I find that some queens are just more sensitive to light than others.

On July 5th, this colony had approximately 2 workers, 8 pupa remaining and 8 new eggs. She received 2 more workers on July 8th. It seemed apparent these workers were enclosing like twins. Never 3 or just 1, always 2 workers. :lol:
As of now (July 29th) this colony has 10 minor workers, 1 median worker, 10+ Pupa, 15 second instar larva and at least 25 eggs.

Now, I have never had a colony so successful like this one. I am noticing they eat more too. Since their 5th worker enclosed I have been feeding them a medium cricket a day and they always have honey in their outworld. That encouraged the queen and shortly after her abdomen was literally bursting from the seams. I thought she was just sneaking out in the Outworld to fill up on honey, but I was wrong! She was full of eggs and now they have tons of brood. However, once finished with their food they do not remove it and now the floor of their AntsAustralia size 1 Ytong nest is full of cricket legs. These ants are so dirty and I don't even know how to clean it up!

I am also noticing some larger pupa so I expect some more median workers and possibly a major to be enclosing due to all of this protein I have been providing. Anyway, that's been a lot of talking, now time for questionably the best part of these journals; the pictures.

When I just caught her

8 Workers

I have not taken any updated pictures because I fear that the queen will not lay to her full potential. Do not worry though, pictures will be on the way soon.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this so far. If you have any questions/comments/concerns I'd love to pass on advice while growing and learning more about the species.
*DISCLAIMER* These posts will all include large pictures because 1. I believe it provides the best viewing experience and secondly, I am not even aware of how to make them smaller haha. I just get them off of my instagram.. I'm still learning. :lol:
Man i’ve always wanted to have a polymorphic ant colony!

I have two homes, one in South France where polymorphic Pheidole ants are dominant, but that’s not my REAL home,

that one is in Sweden, here in Sweden it’s a-hole-nother thing, here Pheidole is absent and i’ll Have to wait for next years Camponotus hearculeanus Nuptial flight, hope your colony does good and gl!

/Milan

PS. Sorry for getting ‘lil private!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

AntsOfOntario

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:04 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 am
AntsOfOntario wrote:
8/7/18 -
Wow! My colony has 5 workers and 4 pupae and they have worked really hard to get to this point. But 11 workers and 17 pupae?
That's good! My queen had produced 11 workers in her first batch on her reserves alone. Although this is by no means normal. For example, one of my Camponotus queens just got her first worker today. She only has 4 pupae left and eggs. That's probably more regular than the one I have a journal on. Another factor that (I believe) influenced this was for the fact that she got her workers so early. Most of my Camponotus queens I've caught over 2 years always produce in the first week of August. We need to take into consideration that she got her workers a month before the average queen. I think these all contribute to her egg production.
Here's what I've been doing with them:
Temperature: 27 - 31 Degrees/ 80F - 87.8F At ALL times
Food: There's a honey tower, and a full medium cricket every day. (Today they actually ate two) I think this impacted them the most. They literally have been eating an entire cricket from 5 workers. I had them in a tube before, and I didn't see any leftovers.

Hopefully, this was useful to you. :D

AntsOfOntario

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 pm

AntsIkhlef wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 am
AntsOfOntario wrote:
Hello,

- Caught May 30th
- Was never fed

When I just caught her

8 Workers

Man i’ve always wanted to have a polymorphic ant colony!

I have two homes, one in South France where polymorphic Pheidole ants are dominant, but that’s not my REAL home,

that one is in Sweden, here in Sweden it’s a-hole-nother thing, here Pheidole is absent and i’ll Have to wait for next years Camponotus hearculeanus Nuptial flight, hope your colony does good and gl!

/Milan

PS. Sorry for getting ‘lil private!
Yeah!! I think they may have a mini major pupa.. it's a bigger than the rest.
GL with the next Camponotus flight though, they're slowly becoming my favorite genus.. :lol:

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:22 pm

I am still trying to figure out of I like Camponotus or Tetramorium better.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsOfOntario

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm

12/8/18
Hello!
I have a lot of good news today.
First, let's start off with the queen. It seemed as though she would never lay her next batch of eggs. She was bloated for about a week and a half, but thankfully yesterday I noticed a new batch of eggs and managed to count about 15.
I've also been noticing a lot of grey workers, indicating her 2nd generation of pupa has started enclosing. It is very difficult to get good shots for you guys because they literally live in the tubing. On top of this, they keep their brood where the tube connects with the nest (because it always stays dark) so it just feels really impossible.
Anyway, I wanted to get a worker count so it could be documented. I decided to scare them a bit and tap on the tubing and open the cover of their outworld so tons of airflow would enter the nest. They all ran around like crazy, but thankfully I managed to count a total of 18 workers. I am so happy with this colonies growth.

I've also gotten to see one of my other Camponotus queens enclose another worker today which was very cool. This queen only has 2 workers and 5 more pupae ready to enclose. She has around 14 more eggs that are waiting to hatch too.

Anyway, here's a picture of them 5 days ago. You guys can finally what I have to deal with..
They love to be crammed in there..
It's literally impossible for me to get a picture with them all in there. I'm going to be getting a new nest for them (since they hate this one) and hopefully when they're fully moved we can see them.

AntsOfOntario

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:03 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:22 pm
I am still trying to figure out of I like Camponotus or Tetramorium better.
I personally prefer Camponotus. They grow slower, but when the workers enclose it's so much more rewarding and satisfying. I also like how the queens take periodic egg laying breaks so you can really see each generation grow and develop.

AntsOfOntario

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 pm

13/8/18
Hey!
I've got news even better than yesterdays!!
They've FINALLY moved out of the tubing and they allowed me to get some pictures. Here's the information I was able to gather.

Worker Count: 21
Brood Count: 8 pupae remain, 30+ eggs have been laid (they're clumped, but you can count at least 26 on the surface alone), and they have a few larvae.
Death Count: 0
Age: This colony got its first workers on July 5th, so it's about a month and a half old.

I just wonder if this colony will be able to develop those eggs before diapause. We could potentially be pushing 40+ workers this year.
Anyway, here are the pictures.
19 workers, 2 in Outworld