Nuptial Flight DISASTER!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

nFectid

Nuptial Flight DISASTER!!

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Looked outside and was delighted to see swams of Dragonflies and Swallows flying about my wood shed. Upon closer examination, OH noes!! The carpenter ants that live in the walls, began their nuptial flight... only to be taken out by the dragon flys and birds.
The dragonflies s savagely removed gasters only and let the rest fall to the earth... :( I was able to relocate some pre flights to a different take off location, but... after being away for a few hours... nothing but half ants could be found.... :(

--- Still looking for that queen to start my empire.

-nFectid

some beasties flying:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B93W_eqhRLUJVWRVR2R2YTY0ZUhrZk41LUFCbmZTenJwWWln/view?usp=sharing

AntsDakota

Re: Nuptial Flight DISASTER!!

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:18 pm

nFectid wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm
Looked outside and was delighted to see swams of Dragonflies and Swallows flying about my wood shed. Upon closer examination, OH noes!! The carpenter ants that live in the walls, began their nuptial flight... only to be taken out by the dragon flys and birds.
The dragonflies s savagely removed gasters only and let the rest fall to the earth... :( I was able to relocate some pre flights to a different take off location, but... after being away for a few hours... nothing but half ants could be found.... :(

--- Still looking for that queen to start my empire.

-nFectid

some beasties flying:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B93W_eqhRLUJVWRVR2R2YTY0ZUhrZk41LUFCbmZTenJwWWln/view?usp=sharing
It's ok, as it is completely natural. This happens even more often with Camponotus, as they are much bigger targets for predators. The chance of a queen ant surviving nuptial flight is about 1 in every 2,000 for your average species, and the odds are probably even greater for Camponotus.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

MorbidBugg

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Pro tip. If you see lots of predators if ants congregating on an area that's probably a good sign somethings about to fly. Use this unfortunate circumstance as a teaching moment for yourself now toy know what to look for in the way of hunters for species.

Ps I love your name Nfectid.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

nFectid

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks all.

Yeah, I will use the indicator for next year. Seems one survived and my dog found it in the house later. Little damaged, but chillin in a tube now.

It was awesome to see the full food chain all in action at once... ant -> dragonfly -> bird. Sad for the half-ants.

nFectid

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Is it strange that they had another nuptial Flight today? Guess I always have to keep watch.. lol