Help with Natural Wood Formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Alacom

Help with Natural Wood Formicarium

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:37 pm

2 weeks ago I caught three Liometopum occidentale queens that all have brood now. I hear they grow quite fast, and I’ve been looking into ant nests for them. I hear they dig into wood like caponotus ants do, and that made me what to make a formicarium like this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDIygXXXJ8&t=2s
I don’t know how I could make it look like that though. Is it made with tools (I hope not), or did they make those tunnels themselves?
Keeper Of:
2 Liometopum Occidentale colonies
1 Campo. Pennsylvanicus (maybe) in founding stage.

AntsDakota

Re: Help with Natural Wood Formicarium

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Alacom wrote:
2 weeks ago I caught three Liometopum occidentale queens that all have brood now. I hear they grow quite fast, and I’ve been looking into ant nests for them. I hear they dig into wood like caponotus ants do, and that made me what to make a formicarium like this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDIygXXXJ8&t=2s
I don’t know how I could make it look like that though. Is it made with tools (I hope not), or did they make those tunnels themselves?
If you can see all the tunnels and chambers and they look very neat and orderly, it was probably made with tools.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Alacom

Re: Help with Natural Wood Formicarium

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:36 pm
Alacom wrote:
If you can see all the tunnels and chambers and they look very neat and orderly, it was probably made with tools.
I actually was able to contact him and found out that these amazing ants dug that all by themselves! You need very soft wood however, which I'm afraid I don't have available so I'm hoping they eventually try digging into my somewhat soft wood.
Keeper Of:
2 Liometopum Occidentale colonies
1 Campo. Pennsylvanicus (maybe) in founding stage.