Idaho Ant Keepers!

A listing of ant meet ups, events, and clubs around the world. Go on an ant trek with ant enthusiasts from your city. Connect with each other and foster an ant community where you live!

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Idaho Ant Keepers!

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:17 am

Hey everyone! We are starting this topic for Idaho ant keepers to chat about nuptial flights, local species, ect... really anything :)

Please make a post and introduce yourself! ( What got you started in ant keeping, current species, wish list species, other hobbies, work, ect..)

It was actually Idahoantguy's idea to do this in a PM, so all credit goes to him ( oh and also i'm not related to him, he just stole my name :D :lol: :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

idahoantgirl

Re: Idaho Ant Keepers!

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 am

Hi! I’m Idaho Ant Girl!

I’ve been keeping ants for close to three years now. I have no idea how I got into this strange little hobby. I guess it picked me. I always had a normal interest in ants (aka not much ) Then I decided to get a gel farm a few years back (I know, i know.) After that I stumbled upon AnsCanada’s “Warning Lots of Ant Geek Talk” vid and I was hooked. :D

I’m currently keeping a Tetramorium Immigrans colony several thousand workers strong, and a founding Tapinoma Sessile colony. I would looove to get my hands on some Pheidole queens.

On the forum i mostly answer questions regarding general ant care, but I am working on my ID skills just in case batspiderfish decides to leave us all in the dust.

I have played violin for 10 years, piano for 5, and mandolin and guitar for a couple months.
I also do Krav Maga and English Country Dancing. I have a small job as an english teacher to an online chinese student. Sooooo yeah you could say I'm a person of diverse interests :lol: I'm looking forward to hearing about you all :)

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

TheRealAntMan

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm

If your looking for Pheidole, best to search right after rains. I've had good experience finding them at this time.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

idahoantgirl

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Nattatk wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm
Hey, I'm Nattatk.

I am currently keeping a Camponotus (I think) queen with two workers. I have had this queen for over a year, and I find it odd that in that time it has only grown two workers. When I was really young, I was fascinated by the teamwork of ants in supporting their colony. The inner workings of the ant colony always intrigued me as well. I am very new to raising ant colonies and myrmecology, but I have kept at it. I ordered a few books on myrmecology and have been enjoying them. I am eager to better my ant-caring skills and learn more about them.

I am 17 years old and love to play video games, write stories, watch YouTube and Death Note (my favorite show), read books, film short films, and have a lot of fun with friends. I am a creative person who tries to see sunshine wherever I can.

Thank you Idaho Ant Girl for inviting me into the group! I will probably be asking questions because of my inexperience.

I wish you all well!
sweet! Hopefully we can get some more people on here too. Yeah I've heard camponotus takes forever

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

idahoantgirl

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:58 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm
If your looking for Pheidole, best to search right after rains. I've had good experience finding them at this time.
Ok good to know :)

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

IdahoTitus

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 pm

Hey fellow Idaho keepers! I am new to “proper” ant keeping, but have kept MANY non queen drone set ups in the past. I have 1 queen i happened to capture on the 4th of July. I didn’t know much about containment and temperature so she has had a very slow start. Now that I have her in a better climate her brood is (from all I know) coming along nicely. I’d like to get my hands on another queen and would like to see if any locals has any that needed a good home, for my knowledge and set ups are much better? (Sorry if this is not the place to talk about ant exchange) Well thank you all for the read and I look forward to chatting with you about local ants!

IdahoTitus

idahoantgirl

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 pm

IdahoTitus wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 pm
....Well thank you all for the read and I look forward to chatting with you about local ants!

IdahoTitus
Great! Welcome! Have you gotten an ID on your queen? I just checked the GAN project and unfortunately there aren't any queens for sale in Idaho right now. I'm might join this fall if I find an excess amount of Lasius Neoniger queens, but I'm not sure yet. As of right now I don't have any spare colonies. What's a non queen drone set up?

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

kennedx87

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello fellow Idahoans,

Brand new to this hobby - like so new that I don't even have any ants yet, and I am so disappointed that I think I am too late to start this year :(. Any chance of October queen findings? Probably a stupid question, but I'm just now starting to learn the basics!

Glad this forum exists, and I look forward to breaking ground.

Are there ever GAN sales of queens in Idaho?

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:30 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 am
Hi! I’m Idaho Ant Girl!

I’ve been keeping ants for close to three years now. I have no idea how I got into this strange little hobby. I guess it picked me. I always had a normal interest in ants (aka not much ) Then I decided to get a gel farm a few years back (I know, i know.) After that I stumbled upon AnsCanada’s “Warning Lots of Ant Geek Talk” vid and I was hooked. :D

I’m currently keeping a Tetramorium Immigrans colony several thousand workers strong, and a founding Tapinoma Sessile colony. I would looove to get my hands on some Pheidole queens.

On the forum i mostly answer questions regarding general ant care, but I am working on my ID skills just in case batspiderfish decides to leave us all in the dust.

I have played violin for 10 years, piano for 5, and mandolin and guitar for a couple months.
I also do Krav Maga and English Country Dancing. I have a small job as an english teacher to an online chinese student. Sooooo yeah you could say I'm a person of diverse interests :lol: I'm looking forward to hearing about you all :)
One point I clearly make a lot of times is that Pheidole queens are often black and are often mistaken for Tetramorium. A key difference is the size of their heads. Pheidole have bigger ones. So if you catch another Tetramorium queen that produces some majors later on, you probably have Pheidole.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 pm

kennedx87 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Hello fellow Idahoans,

Brand new to this hobby - like so new that I don't even have any ants yet, and I am so disappointed that I think I am too late to start this year :(. Any chance of October queen findings? Probably a stupid question, but I'm just now starting to learn the basics!

Glad this forum exists, and I look forward to breaking ground.

Are there ever GAN sales of queens in Idaho?
No, hardly any species fly in the cold. The only one that does around here is Prenolepis imparis, and they fly in March.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25