Lasius Niger

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

NikolaMladenovic

Re: Lasius Niger

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:25 pm

jonathan21700 wrote:Do you keep them in a cold place?
Well not really I'm a little frightend to place them in a pretty cold spot :oops:
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

NikolaMladenovic

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 pm

GriffinAnt wrote:my lasius niger queen and her one worker are in hybernation in my fridge at 5 deg. been in there 2 and half mths and she is a ok.
My fridge is at 4-5 deg celcius so i think that i actually will put them there. Thanks! Btw do you guys think that i can have my Lasius Flavus colony there aswell?

jonathan21700

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Lasius are pretty hardy ants so they should be OK at temperatures above 0 °C.
At room temperature they are still active but brood stops developing and the ants are waiting for winter.

NikolaMladenovic

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:45 am

I tried to put them in my fridge over the night and it worked! Thanks guys!! :D :D

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:35 am

Happy hibernation! Remember to keep the fridge on its warmest setting and when removing them from hibernation for the first hour watch for flooding as the setup returns to room temperature.

Good luck and great work!
Ant Love Forever.

NikolaMladenovic

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:44 am

AntsCanada wrote:Happy hibernation! Remember to keep the fridge on its warmest setting and when removing them from hibernation for the first hour watch for flooding as the setup returns to room temperature.

Ok, thanks for the advice Mikey!!

Stay awesome guys!

N.M

WillWithAnts

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:10 pm

AntsCanada wrote:Happy hibernation! Remember to keep the fridge on its warmest setting and when removing them from hibernation for the first hour watch for flooding as the setup returns to room temperature.

Hey, quick question: I've been hibernating since late september, and I brought them to about 8 degrees celsius yesterday. Should they be good if I continue warming them up? Did I give them enough time? Thanks so much.

Also, great work and good luck on the Lasius Niger colonies, Nikola!

NikolaMladenovic

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:56 pm

WillWithAnts wrote:

Hey, quick question: I've been hibernating since late september, and I brought them to about 8 degrees celsius yesterday. Should they be good if I continue warming them up? Did I give them enough time? Thanks so much.

Also, great work and good luck on the Lasius Niger colonies, Nikola!

Thanks bro! Happy anting :mrgreen:

NikolaMladenovic

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi guys! (my catchfrase) :lol:. Today I pulled out L.N out of the fridge and have put her and her crew in the outworld of my ant setup. And before all of you guys start screaming "OMG, WHAT A IDIOT. THE HYBRIDNEST HAS A FRICKING OPENING DESIGNED FOR AntsCanada TESTTUBES TO FIT DIRECTLY INTO THE HYBRIDNEST" i just wanted to say that my colonys testtube isn't a AntsCanada testtube and does NOT fit in the hole. So, I don't know what to do (well i do know but i have two ideas and need help with choosing one of them)

1. To move my colony into the AntsCanada testtube i got when i bought the hybridnest and then move them into my hybridnest.

Or

2. Place the testtube in the outworld until they run out of water and then making them discovering the wet and nice hybridnest causing them to move there.

The other ants are in the fridge btw.

And a thing i wanted to share with you guys is an old post that got deleted when my account got deleted by the spamfolder. I think that it shouldn't be forgotten and it's a thing about solving problems with teamwork. It all started when i catched my first queen ever (L.N) outside my front door with a falling apart make stuck on her gaster. I got her into a testtube, she layed eggs... you know the drill. And i allways saw how she had a problem turning around in the testtube since she decided to keep her wings. So when her empire was about 8-10 workers old she told her daughters that she wanted a "wingcut" so one worker decided to become a barber. So she climbed up on the queens back and started shaving her mothers wings with her jaws. And after a couple of days she was done. L.N:s wings were now shaved a little bit and know she could turn around how mouch she ever wanted. :)

N.M

NikolaMladenovic

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:13 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote:Hi guys! (my catchfrase) :lol:. Today I pulled out L.N out of the fridge and have put her and her crew in the outworld of my ant setup. And before all of you guys start screaming "OMG, WHAT A IDIOT. THE HYBRIDNEST HAS A FRICKING OPENING DESIGNED FOR AntsCanada TESTTUBES TO FIT DIRECTLY INTO THE HYBRIDNEST" i just wanted to say that my colonys testtube isn't a AntsCanada testtube and does NOT fit in the hole. So, I don't know what to do (well i do know but i have two ideas and need help with choosing one of them)

1. To move my colony into the AntsCanada testtube i got when i bought the hybridnest and then move them into my hybridnest.

Or

2. Place the testtube in the outworld until they run out of water and then making them discovering the wet and nice hybridnest causing them to move there.

The other ants are in the fridge btw.

And a thing i wanted to share with you guys is an old post that got deleted when my account got deleted by the spamfolder. I think that it shouldn't be forgotten and it's a thing about solving problems with teamwork. It all started when i catched my first queen ever (L.N) outside my front door with a falling apart male stuck on her gaster. I got her into a testtube, she layed eggs... you know the drill. And i allways saw how she had a problem turning around in the testtube since she decided to keep her wings. So when her empire was about 8-10 workers strong she told her daughters that she wanted a "wingcut" and one worker decided to become a barber :D. So she climbed up on the queens back and started shaving her mothers wings with her jaws. And after a couple of days she was done. L.N:s wings were now shaved a little bit and now she could turn around how mouch she ever wanted. :)

N.M