Springtails??

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Pabloof7

Springtails??

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:08 am

Are springtails a good source of protein for my ants. I am interested in making a culture of them.
Is it safe for the ants to eat them??
Keeping:
x1 Tapinoma erraticum
x2 Lasius niger

Founding:
x7 Camponotus
x1 Unknown

Wishlist:
Tetramorium sp

🐜❤️

MorbidBugg

Re: Springtails??

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 am

Depends on the species spring tails tend to love with ants in the wild as a super cleaning team. Certain ants will hunt springtails if no other food sources is a available. But this can prove to be difficult as springtails have evolved to not be eaten by those they work near so it may prove too much energy vs not enough protien intake. But again some species are fast enough to catch them.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

KdenKden

Re: Springtails??

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 am

MorbidBugg wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 am
Depends on the species spring tails tend to love with ants in the wild as a super cleaning team. Certain ants will hunt springtails if no other food sources is a available. But this can prove to be difficult as springtails have evolved to not be eaten by those they work near so it may prove too much energy vs not enough protien intake. But again some species are fast enough to catch them.
what if i provide dead springtails will ants still eat them? specifically solenopsis molesta.
Currently housing Solenopsis Molesta and Brachymyrmex patagonicus.