Moderator: ooper01

kykel09

Re: Queen Ant Identification

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 am

imperialdefender wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm
https://youtu.be/QksCa8tmEo4
she is 15mm long or 1.5 cm
please let me know if this is a queen and what species she is? (I believe her to be a fire ant)
what is a her diet and how long should it take for her to start laying eggs typically?
thank you

I found her on my dining room table 2 days ago. she is full of energy and has already displaced intelligence
I live in Sanford florida USA
You definitely have a Camponotus Queen. Appears to be a Camponotus floridanus. Typically, if you put her in the dark and do not disturb here Camponotus start laying eggs within 2 or 3 weeks a most. If you continue to check on her though it will stress her out and she will not lay eggs. Camponotus can be a bit testy. Nice catch. Good luck with her.
Antiwiki:
http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Camponotus_floridanus

Additional Information on your queen:
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/ants/fl_carpenter_ants.htm
Charlottesville, VA GAN Farmer
Seller of 3D Printed Nests

Owns:
Camponotus nearcticus
Camponotus castaneous
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Phiedole bicarinata
Tetramorium immigrans
Forelius pruinosis

TurtleDragon7

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 pm

I recently caught what I think to be a queen ant in my home a few days ago on the coastal side of North Carolina and I'm not sure if it's even a queen or what type of ant it is if anyone could help me that would be great. *Photo would not post* She is about a half inch long and have a red and black body.

TurtleDragon7

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Also if I could get some tips on how to meet her needs that would be great I have much of the basics down but I little knowledge would hurt. Also the half of an inch is probably a overstatement.

antsofthelowcountry

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Camponotus floridanus. Is a fully claustral ant species these prefer these characteristics in nests :

Close to moisture and food sources
Safe from predators such as birds and lizards
Safe from flooding, heat, and other environmental stresses
Easily accessible to the ants make sure that the ants fit in there nest

They also like
Old dry wood, wooden objects that have had previous damage from other organisms like insects or fungi, rotting tree stumps, under bark, in roots of citrus trees, under mulch and, inside logs.
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.

Bubblebuster02

Queen Ant Identification

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 pm

I don't know if these are queen ants but they all had wings and there were a lot of them in one area, especially as the sun set. They are small in size and red. In England.
Thanks in advance.

Sallycat

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:40 pm

https://youtu.be/QksCa8tmEo4 I am no expert but I believe it's in the Camponotus family

EJNettle

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I found this queen in June, in Michigan.
Camponotus?

https://imgur.com/gallery/tWH8k2K

Tarantulaboy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 am

Good morning/Evening. I am new to this page but have been watching AntsCanada's Youtube channel for a couple of months now. I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is a queen. I live in Orlando Florida and on Saturday it just finished raining and 2 of these came into the store I work in and I scooped them up hoping its a few queens..Any Idea? I did not measure because I was at work and when I got home I put them in a dark quiet. Any help would be appreciated.thank you

Insectanotus

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi,

I have 8 Ant queens that I would like Identified, due to space I can only send you 3 right now. The first 3 have been captured in July somewhere near the 18th at 7pm. sorry that the images are a little blurry, it was the best I can do with my camera.

Thank you.

Insectanotus

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 am

Insectanotus wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm
Hi,

I have 8 Ant queens that I would like Identified, due to space I can only send you 3 right now. The first 3 have been captured in July somewhere near the 18th at 7pm. sorry that the images are a little blurry, it was the best I can do with my camera.

Thank you.
Also these ants are found in Canada in BC, near a bunch of buildings with small gardens.