Labor Day weekend, Black Queen, Michigan, ID Please

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

dshawl

Labor Day weekend, Black Queen, Michigan, ID Please

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 am

Found this queen in Michigan on labor Day weekend and now she has what looks like pupa but not sure how much longer for workers. No idea what kind she is... maybe some sort of formica? she is the only one out of 5 found that weekend that has progressed beyond eggs. Last year the few I collected didn't make it, so I am really hoping she makes it. Most of the other queens I have found have at least laid eggs. I am now up to 7 queens all look like the same kind to an untrained eye. Help on ID and about how much longer until possible workers would be great... Sorry about the fuzzy pictures.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTXEwNkF9o7DzZWihVJPcBtGEO9DB3WF9EMR7JIc0R4ZIgfeq1FRxZVcUr8qS7HXh-DX5McF_wupZY5/pub

Batspiderfish

Re: Labor Day weekend, Black Queen, Michigan, ID Please

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:24 am

Looks to be Camponotus novaeboracensis. Don't forget measurements with an ID request!
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

dshawl

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 am

I think she is a Camponotus noveboracensis too. She is about a half inch. Any idea as to how long on the young to be workers?

idahoantgirl

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 am

dshawl wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 am
I think she is a Camponotus noveboracensis too. She is about a half inch. Any idea as to how long on the young to be workers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCoajYwo8s Here ya go. You've got a long wait ahead of you
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsDakota

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:52 pm

I figured out that my C. pennsylvanicus stay pupae for about 3 weeks. So don't get excited if you have pupae, for you still have quite a wait ahead of you.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25