Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ske16342

Caracas-Venezuela, Ant ID & Tips

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Caracas, Venezuela
Date July 02 2018 19:05
Body length 12mm
In my opinion it could be a trap-jaw ant, but not sure if it's male or a queen, I would appreciate if you guys can give me feedback, it's been 15 days since I started watching AntsCanada videos, I know the basics from the tutorials but this ant just got into my room through the window so... I'm not prepared :shock: the test tube I used is 10mm diameter and she can turn around but I'm afraid this tube could be too small for her (I hope it's a queen) would you guys recommend to move her into a bigger tube? Thanks in advance <3

Also when I caught her she had her jaws wide open, but then she closed them.

Any links you can share with me with info about keeping this type of ants would be really appreciated.

4 images, sorry about the quality

https://imgur.com/a/MwuuX6P

DictaruraSrl

Re: Caracas-Venezuela, Ant ID & Tips

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:26 am

I am nearly certain that it is a queen. From what i see in the photos i think that the curent test tube is enough. I don't know to many thinks about this ants. I would recomend to look at Ants Australia because there are some helpfull information about this species. From what i know, this ants are semi clastrow but check because, again i don't know to many info about this ants.

ske16342

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank you for your response, she broke her wings today and it's pulling a lot of the cotton, I'll look for info about the food I should provide for her.

Boomdale

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:03 am

That's easily a trapjaw queen. I'm not good enough to tell you what genus species of course but the look is unmistakable.
Nylanderia Sp.
Pheidole Sp.

Founding - Cremagastor & Solonopsis Invicta

ske16342

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for the commentary, this has to be beginner luck or something, I just found another trap jaw queen crawling in my kitchen, placed this one on a test tube and she's really calm staying on the moist part of the test tube, but the first one I caught looks really anxious I'm thinking about moving her into somewhere with a little bit more space and maybe with some substrate from my plants, she doesn't seem comfortable, always moving around pulling cotton from the exit like looking for something. None of them seemed interested in a drop of honey.

ske16342

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:43 am

A little update on my Odontomachus queens, after a few days trying to find out what to feed to my queens I read that some people would give them boiled eggs, and that actually worked for me, I boiled an egg and with a toothpick, I tried to tear apart a really small piece of egg white, then placed it in the test tube and they inspected it for a while and proceed to eat. I placed another microscopic piece of egg but they didn't eat the other one.

These ants are really powerful but they were scared of the insects I offered to them like dead flies, fruit flies, cockroach legs, mosquitoes, etc. I covered their test tubes with paper and placed them into bigger containers, they spent some time cleaning themselves on the outside and then they get back into the tubes.

Fjnoxius

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm

hello, I'm from Venezuela too, well for what i learn they are pretty aggressive but semi claustral queens... i DO have a question for you where did u find test tubes? i keeping my Camponotus queen on a dalvito jar, haha well hope you the best luck and hope you can help me. :D

ske16342

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Fjnoxius wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm
hello, I'm from Venezuela too, well for what i learn they are pretty aggressive but semi claustral queens... i DO have a question for you where did u find test tubes? i keeping my Camponotus queen on a dalvito jar, haha well hope you the best luck and hope you can help me. :D
I sent you a private message :)

ske16342

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Quick update on my queens, the most active is eating well and has layed 3 eggs a couple of days ago, I leave different types of food in the outworld and she comes out at the night and picks up what she needs and poops outside the tube, I keep feeding her small pieces of egg white and fruit flies, but she doesn't eat recently killed insects, she picks them after a few days. So the key is to be patient and she eventually eats what she needs.

On the other hand, my other queen doesn't seem to be fertilized, she doesn't come out to look for food anymore and looks a little bit sad and almost doesn't even move.

ske16342

Odontomachus update

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Almost 2 weeks has passed since the last update and my first queen who laid 3 eggs (now 3 larvae) has been eating really well, I'm giving her small fruit flies and small pieces of fresh papaya or apple, she drinks the fluids and takes the smallest pieces into the nest to feed the larvae, the cotton on the test tube is becoming too dirty but I've tried to make her move into a clean one but all she does is bring the garbage into the new one.

The other queen which I thought was infertile, has 2 eggs now, but she doesn't ever come out of the test tube and doesn't eat anything I provide for her, there's no evidence of her consuming anything else besides water so I hope she doesn't end up eating the eggs.

As a side note, a couple days ago another queen just came into my kitchen, this time looks like a camponotus from what I've seen.
If you wanna have a look at this new queen here it is, sorry again for the quality my phone's camera isn't good

https://imgur.com/a/wjW131E