Please help me id her

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Teenantkeeper

Please help me id her

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:18 am

Can someone please help me. I'm in Philadelphia, PA. I caught this ant but she still has her wings on her. Do you think she might be a dud? I've had her for three days now and nothing. While all of my tetramorium queens ( 11) has all started laying. I don't know the measurements of her but she is kinda big. I don't think she's a Camponotus sp. though. Should I just let throw her out? Look at the google doc link I posted, the images are on there.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1px_GRwbMQkf5lRu1V9GDvotZxrqY3EFYv9NlASfQe8k/edit?usp=sharing

Batspiderfish

Re: Please help me id her

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 am

Formica sp. from the pallidefulva group.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Teenantkeeper

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:05 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 am
Formica sp. from the pallidefulva group.
I don't really know how to message you so this is the only thing I could do. Is she parasitic? I have some tetra founding mothers here? If she is could I use those eggs?

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 am

No they are claustral. If they were parasitic, they would need a host from the same genus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Teenantkeeper

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:27 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 am
No they are claustral. If they were parasitic, they would need a host from the same genus.
So what should I do? I have her in a small tupperware container now with a wet cotton ball. It's extremely hot and it's been three days and she still hasn't dropped her wings. She's not even that active until she's messed with. She just sits there, sometimes crawling the wall looking for a way out. What are my chances of her being a dud?