Tetramorium caespitum

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

donnyHar

Tetramorium caespitum

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:59 pm

I have a Tetramorium caespitum queen living in a makeshift setup of a 20 oz bottle. I put wet toilet paper in with her as hydration, she then made her own chamber out of bits of the toilet paper. I ordered test tubes from the AC store and today i noticed she has laid eggs and is caring for them. My question is when my test tubes come should i move the queen before her first batch of brood has developed? If so should i just use light to move her? Will she transfer her brood?

PTasker15

Re: Tetramorium caespitum

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Depends.If You Could Care Less And Are Impatient-Just Dump Her Out Into The Tube And Try To Get Her Brood In.And You Value Her..Then Stop Hydrating The Bottles,'Tach The Tube And Possibly Indirect Light.Cover Up The Tube.It'll Take Several Hours To A Couple Of Days To Move
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Batspiderfish

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:14 pm

A queen is unlikely to move by herself. I would maintain the care you've been giving her. Ants just need humidity.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

donnyHar

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:03 am

Awesome, thank you AC family!