Myrmica Rubra Brood

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NikolaMladenovic

Myrmica Rubra Brood

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:45 pm

How long does it normally take for a Myrmica Rubra queen ant to lay eggs? I found one a few days ago and she's yet to lay eggs. I have feed her fly larva, a larva from a moth specie and honey. The setup I use for her is a normal test tube inside an outworld. She does eat and I really don't see a problem.

P.S I found another "queen" that looks like a smaller version of my original queen (1-2mm smaller) which I tried putting into thr same outworld as my other queen. It ended up in a small brawl but I seperated them quickly so no-one got hurt. Myrmica Rubra is supposedly a polygynous so how does come this happened? Perhaps the original queen felt like she was invading her territory?

Hopefully we can solve this together ^_^
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

AntsDakota

Re: Myrmica Rubra Brood

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:50 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote:
How long does it normally take for a Myrmica Rubra queen ant to lay eggs? I found one a few days ago and she's yet to lay eggs. I have feed her fly larva, a larva from a moth specie and honey. The setup I use for her is a normal test tube inside an outworld. She does eat and I really don't see a problem.

P.S I found another "queen" that looks like a smaller version of my original queen (1-2mm smaller) which I tried putting into thr same outworld as my other queen. It ended up in a small brawl but I seperated them quickly so no-one got hurt. Myrmica Rubra is supposedly a polygynous so how does come this happened? Perhaps the original queen felt like she was invading her territory?

Usually queens lay eggs from a few hours to a few days. Yet there is a chance she is not mated.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote:

It was probably a different species, and different species don't get along no matter how polygynous they are.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

NikolaMladenovic

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
NikolaMladenovic wrote:

Usually queens lay eggs from a few hours to a few days. Yet there is a chance she is not mated.
How come a queen just walks off with no wings though? I also don't know off any Myica rubra colonies in my backyard either.

AntsDakota

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:
NikolaMladenovic wrote:

How come a queen just walks off with no wings though? I also don't know off any Myica rubra colonies in my backyard either.
The wings can be a nuisance while digging a hole, so they shed them. They also don't need them any more, nor can use them.

NikolaMladenovic

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:08 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm
NikolaMladenovic wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:

The wings can be a nuisance while digging a hole, so they shed them. They also don't need them any more, nor can use them.
That's not what I meant. I should have phrased my question better. My question is why an unfertile queen leaves her nest, sheds her wings and roams around trying to find a place to nest in just like a fertile queen.

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:03 am

That's because queens (fertile or not) basicly follow the same behavior. Someone here recently told someone in a post that queens if unfertile can still lay eggs but those are just male ants/elates so it's like the queens just give there lives to give another queen a man in case they succeed.

But I am not 100% sure if that is true for many ant species since I have no real proof of whether or not it is true.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.