The eggs my queen ant laid are not hatching, please help

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kar123

The eggs my queen ant laid are not hatching, please help

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 pm

So I have a queen ant that I caught like in January or February, and the queen laid 3-4 eggs a little more than half way through March, but it’s now 3 months (June, 4th) after she laid the eggs and she has now had 6-7 eggs, but none of the eggs have hatched but the eggs have gotten slightly bigger, almost not noticeable in size difference but they now have a slight yellowish tinge on them. The queen is alive and sometimes moves the eggs around and takes care of them (at least I think she does). Someone please help me and tell me what’s going on and what to do, I have attached photos of the queen when she first laid eggs and of her now (June 4th).

Kar123

The photos don’t show up when I post them, do they show up for you guys?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Sorry that the photos don’t show but she look like a queen and is almost completely black in color and doesn’t have any stripes or patterns and is normal size.

antnest8

Re: The eggs my queen ant laid are not hatching, please help

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 am

Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Kar123 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 pm
So I have a queen ant that I caught like in January or February, and the queen laid 3-4 eggs a little more than half way through March, but it’s now 3 months (June, 4th) after she laid the eggs and she has now had 6-7 eggs, but none of the eggs have hatched but the eggs have gotten slightly bigger, almost not noticeable in size difference but they now have a slight yellowish tinge on them. The queen is alive and sometimes moves the eggs around and takes care of them (at least I think she does). Someone please help me and tell me what’s going on and what to do, I have attached photos of the queen when she first laid eggs and of her now (June 4th).
Eggs don't grow, so they are probably baby larvae.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

WishBear

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Also if you are living in a Air Conditioned home that will slow growth in summer...put the test tube setup in your garage ;) then you'll see a burst of activity when it goes from 74f to 104f....