HELP ID QUEEN ANT!!!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

CatsnAnts

Re: HELP ID QUEEN ANT!!!

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 pm

AHHHHH OMG! I FOUND ANOTHER QUEEN ANT! It’s about 5 mm long and I don’t know if it’s parasitic or not? Could somebody please identify??? Thanks! Also my Camponotus subbarbatus is settling in nicely!Image
Camponotus subbarbatus x3
Temnothorax curvispinosus x1 :shock: :D
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Batspiderfish

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:52 pm

If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

CatsnAnts

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Do you think I have any chance at raising it to form a colony? I know that it’s very unlikely... :roll:
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Batspiderfish

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm

My first pet colony was the (somewhat easier) Lasius umbratus. As long as you can provide workers for her, give it a shot.

Also, use a ruler when you are measuring the ants. ;)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

CatsnAnts

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 am

Will do, and thanks!
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Muhca4

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm
**** wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 pm
Please help me with this one. I'm from europe Slovenia (southwest, border with croatia)
I need a quick anwser beacuse if it is a social parasite i would like to release her, she has bitten off her wings after 4 hours of having her though...
Pics here: http://imgur.com/gallery/TOPNs4P
Whatever that queen is, she isn't parasitic nor semi-claustral, so the normal test tube setup will be fine. Best to make your own ID threads, though.
I made my own thread but nobody is anwsering... Can you help me with the species please?
Animal ambassador. ❤

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 am

**** wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
**** wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 pm
Please help me with this one. I'm from europe Slovenia (southwest, border with croatia)
I need a quick anwser beacuse if it is a social parasite i would like to release her, she has bitten off her wings after 4 hours of having her though...
Pics here: http://imgur.com/gallery/TOPNs4P
Whatever that queen is, she isn't parasitic nor semi-claustral, so the normal test tube setup will be fine. Best to make your own ID threads, though.
I made my own thread but nobody is anwsering... Can you help me with the species please?
I don't think we can tell what your queen is, exactly, from the pictures, but you can rest assured that setting her up in a test tube is the optimal care you can give her. You would also need to provide a measurement.

Muhca4

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:47 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 am
**** wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:

I don't think we can tell what your queen is, exactly, from the pictures, but you can rest assured that setting her up in a test tube is the optimal care you can give her. You would also need to provide a measurement.
She is about 8mm long. The picture with mm is here: http://imgur.com/gallery/TOPNs4P
Can you tell me how you know she is not parasitic nor claustral?
Animal ambassador. ❤

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 am

**** wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:47 am
She is about 8mm long. The picture with mm is here: http://imgur.com/gallery/TOPNs4P
Can you tell me how you know she is not parasitic nor claustral?
Sorry. I wasn't paying attention to details in the photo other than the ant (better to include measurements in the text). She is claustral, which means she will need no special care until her workers eclose.

Semi-claustral and parasitic ants are almost always slimmer. I would recognize if she were either of those.

CatsnAnts

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am

Is it okay for me to keep my Camponotus subbarbatus near a heat source, such as a lamp? (I have her well covered so she recieves no light). What is a temperature that you think is the maximum heat that a queen ant should have so I can avoid that.
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair