Solenopsis Invicta Queens caught today and setup

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Solenopsis Invicta Queens caught today and setup

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:39 pm

Well I got lucky today and caught 9 more Solenopsis Invicta Queens, Had them all in a small (Bad Mike for not having his test tubes with him) and they were all huddled togeather, they all came from the same nest so I wasn't worried about them fighting or such. Here's some pics of the Queens, them going in to test tubes and the new box I'm now storing them in.

And yea I like to take pictures! LOL

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Solenopsis Invicta Queens caught today and setup

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Mojorisin wrote:Did you make that box? It's perfect for tube setups.
Nope, it's a box that *** SPAM *** video equipment comes in from the manufacture. When I saw it I thought it would be great for test tubes!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Mojorisin wrote:Nice repurposing. I've been keeping an eye out for something I can use.
Give me a address in a PM and I can see about sending one to you (as long as the shipping isn't crazy pricey) when I get an empty one again. I might be able to cut the foam for the inserts also.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Ok so I'm going to make this one a Journal.

As you saw on the 10th of Sep 2015 I caught 10 Solenopsis queens and put them in a little custom box set up. Well they must LOVE IT! So it's only been 8 days and I thought I'd check to see how many might have died (pessimistic I know), and low and behold I was very surprised to see that 9 out of the 10 have already laid eggs!!!!!!!!! The tenth one (who still has her wings) hasn't laid any (might not be fertile).

Man I'm so happy! Oh wait I already have 4 that are at 4 weeks now...... Damn so that's 13 queens that I might have with brood in a month or so. Guess I may have no other choice but to become a GAN farmer.

Ok so if a person that can raise plants really well has a "Green Thumb" what does that make me? A "Red Thumb" <---- Well Solenopsis ants are red! LOL
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Well I checked on these set of queens and was a little sad. :cry: Of the 9 one (still has wings) hasn't laid any eggs and another queen that had laid approx 15 eggs was dead. The other 7 seem to be doing good and were quite upset with me bothering them.

So on goes the long process of waiting, wanting to peek in on them but knowing better! :lol:
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

Gregory2455

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:57 pm

What are Alabama's laws on Solenopsis invicta? Us Californian ant keepers had to find out when dspdrew from Formiculture needed to freeze his colonies of S.invicta... :?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:51 am

Really not sure. Saw the Cal posting and was going to look into it. Though this is Alabama and they are in no way as crazy about this kinda stuff as the sate government in Cal is.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

larynx

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:26 am

MadVampy wrote:Really not sure. Saw the Cal posting and was going to look into it. Though this is Alabama and they are in no way as crazy about this kinda stuff as the sate government in Cal is.
we have a quarantine area here in the southeast, for pest species and (IFA). as long as we dont transport or sell past that line we are ok. you can get permits to move them otherwise. insect stuff in the southeast is pretty relaxed as we have ALOT of pest insects here ,almost year round. now, reptile laws are a whole other world, they get really tricky when it comes to scales. ive been told all this throughout the years dealing with Dep. of Agriculture, FDA , and the DNR, while working with a traveling zoos and such. i do know a little loop hole that allows you to keep anything you want, and travel with it. but thats another conversation. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:34 pm

larynx wrote:
MadVampy wrote:Really not sure. Saw the Cal posting and was going to look into it. Though this is Alabama and they are in no way as crazy about this kinda stuff as the sate government in Cal is.
we have a quarantine area here in the southeast, for pest species and (IFA). as long as we dont transport or sell past that line we are ok. you can get permits to move them otherwise. insect stuff in the southeast is pretty relaxed as we have ALOT of pest insects here ,almost year round. now, reptile laws are a whole other world, they get really tricky when it comes to scales. ive been told all this throughout the years dealing with Dep. of Agriculture, FDA , and the DNR, while working with a traveling zoos and such. i do know a little loop hole that allows you to keep anything you want, and travel with it. but thats another conversation. :D

Oh I know the herp laws. Ive owned over 12 different snakes, lizards and such. My last snake was Avalon (6.5 ft Ball python), had him for 6 years. Wish he was still around.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

larynx

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm

MadVampy wrote:
larynx wrote:

Oh I know the herp laws. Ive owned over 12 different snakes, lizards and such. My last snake was Avalon (6.5 ft Ball python), had him for 6 years. Wish he was still around.

very cool. used to raise ball pythons and rock pythons for a bit. African species are my favorite, right next to Australian species. if you ever need reptiles i know a guy that can get you anything. just let me know. ;)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer