Help identify mystery queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

MaxGen

Help identify mystery queen

Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 pm

I caught a bunch of queens at the beginning of September 2017 last summer. I assumed they were all Lasius neoniger since that's what they all looked like at the time. They went into the fridge in October and I took them out in February, they subsequently all started laying.

One of the queens looks quite different from the others. Can anyone identify it?

Details:

Picture 1 is what I believe is Lasius neoniger. It's about 8mm long, caught Sept 2017 in Toronto, Canada.

The rest of the pictures are what I need help identifying please. She is 10mm long, caught Sept 2017 in Toronto, Canada.

Picture 1

Mystery Queen

Batspiderfish

Re: Help identify mystery queen

Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Is there a way to turn "noise reduction" off on your camera? We need to see fine details like the hairs on the antennal scapes to identify this group of Lasius.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MaxGen

Fri May 18, 2018 1:22 am

Thanks Batspiderfish

I’ll see if I can get a better shot. It’s difficult when shooting through glass as the curvature of the tube distorts the shot. Hopefully it will all come together :)

antnest8

Fri May 18, 2018 5:46 am

why does mystery queen 1 look like a social parasite?
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MaxGen

Fri May 18, 2018 9:50 am

Picture 1? I'm wondering if she is a little exhausted. It looks like her gaster has folded in a bit.

The mystery queens gaster does look a little long and narrow, if that was the queen you were referring to.

Neither are parasitic, they both have workers from their own eggs they laid this season without any help...