Found a (Actual) queen + Ant Journal

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntTaco

Found a (Actual) queen + Ant Journal

Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Wow... looking at some Monomorium minimum that live in my mum's cow poop (woke up finally) and saw a big ant, was gonna catch it but once i got my box of ant catching it was no longer in sight but i found a winged ant queen (it a queen because big gasterd and wing area). I will post some pics soon for ant verification. This will also be a journal on it and how it is doing.

antnest8

Re: Found a (Actual) queen + Ant Journal

Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 am

where did you find the queen?
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

averagebilly

Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 am

AntTaco wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 pm
Wow... looking at some Monomorium minimum that live in my mum's cow poop (woke up finally) and saw a big ant, was gonna catch it but once i got my box of ant catching it was no longer in sight but i found a winged ant queen (it a queen because big gasterd and wing area). I will post some pics soon for ant verification. This will also be a journal on it and how it is doing.
Congratulations on your first queen!
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

AntTaco

Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Well thanks everyone, but I released the one i thought was a queen (looked more like a drone... or a really weird looking bee/wasp) in the previous post but today I was bringing up a Trash bin when I saw this huge ant come running across the ground (might have almost squished her) but i caught it with my hands. It is was in a test tube but it needed to be moved into a new one because it had a huge bubble of air. I moved it into a new test tube attached to a v2 portal. Now, some people may say that it won't need the portal but this is the biggest ant I have ever seen with my own eyes! It most likely a carpenter ant but thoughts ants take a lot of room and smaller than the Queen/giant bodyguards that the Titans (Marauder ants) had. Any way I found both of them on my driveway.

R.I.P Titans

AntTaco

Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Well, Great news! The queen has a egg

AntsDakota

Sun May 06, 2018 2:55 pm

AntTaco wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 pm
Well thanks everyone, but I released the one i thought was a queen (looked more like a drone... or a really weird looking bee/wasp) in the previous post but today I was bringing up a Trash bin when I saw this huge ant come running across the ground (might have almost squished her) but i caught it with my hands. It is was in a test tube but it needed to be moved into a new one because it had a huge bubble of air. I moved it into a new test tube attached to a v2 portal. Now, some people may say that it won't need the portal but this is the biggest ant I have ever seen with my own eyes! It most likely a carpenter ant but thoughts ants take a lot of room and smaller than the Queen/giant bodyguards that the Titans (Marauder ants) had. Any way I found both of them on my driveway.

R.I.P Titans
The Titans were my favorite ant colony on AntsCanada. :cry:
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntTaco

Mon May 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Ya, they were cool, how tiny black and pharaoh ants kill them... Idk.
Also the queen now as 3 eggs, YAY!!! :D

averagebilly

Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm

AntTaco wrote:
Don't check up on her as often as you seem to be. I used to, and my new queens are developing a lot faster than those ones. Most experienced ant keepers would probably recommend once every week to week and a half.
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

AntTaco

Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm

averagebilly wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm
AntTaco wrote:
Don't check up on her as often as you seem to be. I used to, and my new queens are developing a lot faster than those ones. Most experienced ant keepers would probably recommend once every week to week and a half.
I am sorry, just first queen, very excited also more eggs, harder to tell because she clumped them together.

AntTaco

Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 pm

been a bit since i posted. I check on my ant queen every monday now and she has a nice amount of eggs (Too many to count plus queen keeps getting in way) and when do eggs normally hatch?