Found this ant, is it a queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

nuget102

Found this ant, is it a queen?

Mon May 07, 2018 11:30 am

So I found this ant in Southern Nevada. I believe it may be a Formica obscuripes. Nothing unusual, since we have a infestation of them right now. But this one is noticeably bigger by a significant amount. It appears to be at or over 1/2 inch. The photos aren't the best, I'm sorry about that.
Also, the ant appears to have a noticeable hump on its back. Could that be where the wings were?

nuget102

Re: Found this ant, is it a queen?

Mon May 07, 2018 11:47 am

Ant album http://imgur.com/a/tBOy2A9

averagebilly

Mon May 07, 2018 2:04 pm

I can't view the photos right know, because of my connection, but your description definitely sounds like a queen. I'll come back when I'm able to look at the photos :)
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

nuget102

Mon May 07, 2018 3:49 pm

averagebilly wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:04 pm
I can't view the photos right know, because of my connection, but your description definitely sounds like a queen. I'll come back when I'm able to look at the photos :)
Thanks! I'll wait patiently. I set the ant up in a small plant pot (it's very small and the only thing I have) and I made a little reservoir in the center that I put some honey in. I know queen ants may not need any liquids at all, but I'm worried about possible dehydration? I'm new to ants so I'm making guesses. I filled the bottom with some sand with a coffee filter and a piece of cardboard on the bottom. Fingers crossed she lays some eggs. :)

BleedingRaindrops

Sat May 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Looks like a queen, fully claustral too, so she'll be fine with just water in a test tube.

Yes, that hump is where her wings were. If you look closely there should be scars on the sides near the top, where she ripped them off.

Can you try to get some clearer photos of her, from the side, top, and front?
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.