Queen rescued from nest

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

melinatharp13

Queen rescued from nest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:23 pm

So, while I was helping my mom plant some flowers in pots, I picked up a clay pot out of the stack we had in the back. When I did I noticed a good number of ants running around and I knew it was a nest. My mom told me she was going to poison them so the ants didn't come back but I was able to find the queen and get her into a test tube. She is now in a test tube set-up but I would like to know, do I need to feed her? She has no wings and her colony was small so how much should I feed her? What do I do in terms of a set-up?

Thank you for your time :D

averagebilly

Re: Queen rescued from nest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Did you catch any workers for her? If not, you should try to get some from her colony.
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

melinatharp13

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:47 pm

averagebilly wrote:
Did you catch any workers for her? If not, you should try to get some from her colony.
No, unfortunately, by the time I had gotten her into the test tube, the rest of the workers where gone. I almost got a few but my dog wanted to know what I was doing and... yeah it didn't end too well. There where only a handful of ants to begin with so I was unable to get any fast enough. :(

averagebilly

Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm

melinatharp13 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:47 pm
averagebilly wrote:
No, unfortunately, by the time I had gotten her into the test tube, the rest of the workers where gone. I almost got a few but my dog wanted to know what I was doing and... yeah it didn't end too well. There where only a handful of ants to begin with so I was unable to get any fast enough. :(
Oh, that's too bad. I would give the queen some honey, and maybe some sort of small protein. Good Luck!
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos