New Lasius Neoniger Queen

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

antnest8

Re: New Lasius Neoniger Queen

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:40 pm

it looks like PaydenB is gone for some time now
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:27 am

PaydenB wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 am
Hi everyone, back with another update. Last night my Queen began slowing down, by that I mean she began acting like she was dying, she began to get a slight curl to her body, her antenna barely moved, something told me death was approaching, I needed to do something. Fast.

I went back to the place I originally found her and began hunting for more Queens, luck was on my side, I found two Queens mid hole digging, I captured them, and waited to see if any more would come by, after thrity minutes of waiting, I walked home, new Queens in tow. Apparently they're good climbers, because while showing my parents the two new additions one rushed past my finger and fell to the floor, where the dog got her in his jaws and killed her. :(

But, it seems the old Queen has taken a liking to the New Queen, the two began sniffing each other with their antenna and then some very touchy cleaning that I thought was going to escalate into full on biting, but thankfully it didn't. They began excavating a small divet in the cotton ball but no eggs as of yet, right now they're just excavating and cleaning each other. Also, for some reason Photobucket wouldn't link with my Facebook account, so here's the link to the picture of the Duo in their set up.
Perhaps she was preparing for hibernation. Put her in a refrigerator or unheated basement.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am

PaydenB wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 am
Well, last night we had a bit of rain, I'm guessing that's what Lasius Niger was waiting for, because I managed to capture five new Queens of that species, as well as two Crem. Cerasi, I don't know what I'm gonna do with them all, starting to run out of holding containers and I'm sure there'll be more emergers tomorrow.

Also, I am working on new set-ups that resemble the test tube set up but are semi-different because I don't actually own test tubes, and no one nearby sells them. Tomorrow after I get more Cotton balls I should have pics of them in their new and final setups.
Lasius niger? Crematogaster? Why does everybody get so lucky? I can't even find Camponotus.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25