Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ceez05

Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Caught in trail next to ravine earlier this month. She's 7-8mm long. I suspect she's Myrmica sp. and I caught her while she was out scavenging (hence the setup in pic #2). One node clearly visible if you zoom into the photo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rd0pha3FoeFFqVHM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rU1pMLXFXTXM4aEU/view?usp=sharing

My first time with semi claustral queen.. can somebody tell me if the setup is okay? Plus how often do I need to stick a fruit fly in the "outworld" section? She's spending a lot more time there than in the left chamber.

Batspiderfish

Re: Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 pm

This is the very peculiar, very late Tetramorium queen. Perhaps she was ejected from co-founding a colony earlier this year. She will probably need to be treated like she is semi-claustral.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Idahoantguy

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 pm

ceez05 wrote:
Caught in trail next to ravine earlier this month. She's 7-8mm long. I suspect she's Myrmica sp. and I caught her while she was out scavenging (hence the setup in pic #2). One node clearly visible if you zoom into the photo.

My first time with semi claustral queen.. can somebody tell me if the setup is okay? Plus how often do I need to stick a fruit fly in the "outworld" section? She's spending a lot more time there than in the left chamber.
Yea that's definitely a tetramorium queen, I have a couple of tetramorium sp. e colonies and I didn't feed them until they had their first workers. But maybe it would be a good idea to feed her since she was found so late. As far as I know all tetramorium are fully claustral, but it's probably okay. Not entirely sure how the setup works, but it looks ok. Is there a hole in the cotton for her to climb through?
Good luck!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

ceez05

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am

Idahoantguy wrote:
Yea that's definitely a tetramorium queen, I have a couple of tetramorium sp. e colonies and I didn't feed them until they had their first workers. But maybe it would be a good idea to feed her since she was found so late. As far as I know all tetramorium are fully claustral, but it's probably okay. Not entirely sure how the setup works, but it looks ok. Is there a hole in the cotton for her to climb through?
Good luck!
Batspiderfish wrote:
This is the very peculiar, very late Tetramorium queen. Perhaps she was ejected from co-founding a colony earlier this year. She will probably need to be treated like she is semi-claustral.
There's a straw in the middle of the cotton between the two chambers so she can move back and forth. I've wrapped the left chamber with tin foil so she's more comfortable.

How often do I need to feed her? She's a bit of a special case it seems..

Idahoantguy

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 pm

ceez05 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am
Idahoantguy wrote:
Good luck!
Batspiderfish wrote:
There's a straw in the middle of the cotton between the two chambers so she can move back and forth. I've wrapped the left chamber with tin foil so she's more comfortable.

How often do I need to feed her? She's a bit of a special case it seems..
I'm not entirely sure, just start giving her some food, and if she eats all of it give her more. If she doesn't eat it then you know hats all you have to give her. Just test it out.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

AntsOntario

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:48 pm

ceez05 wrote:

She's probably not semi claustral. I saw many tetramorium colonies having nuptial flights over the past 2 weeks, since this week has been quite hot in the GTA. It was super cold, and because there was such a jump in heat, many different species sent out their queens. You don't have to feed her (IMO), but it never hurts to add a cotton ball with honey.