Formica queen hasn't layed eggs afther first workers

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

nickvaes

Formica queen hasn't layed eggs afther first workers

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Hey guys so i was pretty excited when my first workers for my formica queen arrived, however a few days afther she still didn't layed any eggs, now a few weeks later she still hasn't layed any eggs and i have no idea why? I always kept het in a testupe setup until the small amount of watter dryed out than I attached a second testupe on the other side (both openings to eachother and taped it together). i fed them some fruitflys but i havn't gave them sugar, wich i think is the reason? is that possible? i now have placed them in a old jar with 1 testupe filled with water 1 testupe filled with sugar water and some fruitflys. I also left their olf testupe so they would be stressed. what can i do to have the best chance for my queen to start laying eggs again?

I also made sure to keep them in the dark all the time and not to check to mush ( 1 time a week ).

here you can find how i started with the queen and might give you some more info.
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3707

AntsOntario

Re: Formica queen hasn't layed eggs afther first workers

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 pm

nickvaes wrote:
Hey guys so i was pretty excited when my first workers for my formica queen arrived, however a few days afther she still didn't layed any eggs, now a few weeks later she still hasn't layed any eggs and i have no idea why? I always kept het in a testupe setup until the small amount of watter dryed out than I attached a second testupe on the other side (both openings to eachother and taped it together). i fed them some fruitflys but i havn't gave them sugar, wich i think is the reason? is that possible? i now have placed them in a old jar with 1 testupe filled with water 1 testupe filled with sugar water and some fruitflys. I also left their olf testupe so they would be stressed. what can i do to have the best chance for my queen to start laying eggs again?

I also made sure to keep them in the dark all the time and not to check to mush ( 1 time a week ).

here you can find how i started with the queen and might give you some more info.
Formica queens raise their first batch of eggs into workers, then start laying next year. Occasionally they will lay a couple, but never anything significant. I wouldn't be concerned, mine did the same thing.

nickvaes

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 am

AntsOntario wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 pm
nickvaes wrote:

Formica queens raise their first batch of eggs into workers, then start laying next year. Occasionally they will lay a couple, but never anything significant. I wouldn't be concerned, mine did the same thing.
ohh owkay, but i thought it was weird since normal workers only live a month or 2? and they would die before new workers arrive?

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 am

Formica workers can live for years. Whoever told you their lifespan is a month or two probably isn't taking care of their ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.