My Colony So Far From July 14th to August 5th

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Nobody

My Colony So Far From July 14th to August 5th

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 am

I believe she's a Dorymyrmex Insanus species from what people tell me but everything so far has been sailing smoothly. I caught her on July 14th of this year. When I had caught her she was still mating and hadn't shed her wings but shed them by the time I got home from where I caught her. I check up on her now and then maybe once a week to see how things are going. So far things look great she has laid a good amount of eggs and always seems to be moving them around stacking them up and caring for them. I keep it relatively warm in my room which is where I keep her in this little metal lock box slightly open. Today I checked on her and took some more photos of her she seems to be doing pretty well and I'm not sure when I'll see the first workers.
These are from today (August 5th.) I'm sorry this post was long but I am gonna keep updating on here while this colony hopefully grows strong.
Any recommendations or tips on things I should do to help this colony is much appreciated. Let me know if I can do something better or am going about something wrong so I can help this colony strive.

FarrAnts

Re: My Colony So Far From July 14th to August 5th

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Nobody wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 am
I believe she's a Dorymyrmex Insanus species from what people tell me but everything so far has been sailing smoothly. I caught her on July 14th of this year. When I had caught her she was still mating and hadn't shed her wings but shed them by the time I got home from where I caught her. I check up on her now and then maybe once a week to see how things are going. So far things look great she has laid a good amount of eggs and always seems to be moving them around stacking them up and caring for them. I keep it relatively warm in my room which is where I keep her in this little metal lock box slightly open. Today I checked on her and took some more photos of her she seems to be doing pretty well and I'm not sure when I'll see the first workers.
These are from today (August 5th.) I'm sorry this post was long but I am gonna keep updating on here while this colony hopefully grows strong.
Any recommendations or tips on things I should do to help this colony is much appreciated. Let me know if I can do something better or am going about something wrong so I can help this colony strive.
Nice! Keep us updated!
Ball is life... Ants included.

Nobody

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:30 pm

New update everyone! We now have some workers! I counted 8! Last Sunday there was none at all!
I'm so excited ! This is my first ever attempt at keeping ants and I'm so happy it's been working out so far!

AntsRule

Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Congrats! Just make sure when they reach about 7-10 ants to connect them to an out-world set up :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Nobody

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 am

AntsRule wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 pm
Congrats! Just make sure when they reach about 7-10 ants to connect them to an out-world set up :D
No doubt my friend I'm definitely going to give them more time to grow before I move them ! Thank you! I know that even though there's workers I should still leave them alone relatively but does it somewhat become more relaxed? like is it just as important that I leave them alone? Or would it bother the colony if I maybe checked on them maybe like a little more often within a week? Or what would you recommend?

Gavinthesheep1234567

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 am

I would give them a little sugar water just a drop after a day or so take out what ever they have not eaten
Keeper of
Camponotus

As Mike would say it's Ant Love Forever :D