I may have caught a queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Nathant

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Please take a measurement with a ruler. This looks like a Lasius sp. queen.

idahoantgirl

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Considering the time of year she was caught, I would suggest Lasius Neoniger.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Nathant

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:32 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 pm
Considering the time of year she was caught, I would suggest Lasius Neoniger.
There's no L. neoniger in Eurasia.

Uskall

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Nathant wrote:
She is about 7-8mm's I think, it was kind of hard to measure her as she kept moving around. I'm pretty sure it's either a lasius niger or neglectus one, both seem to live here in Sweden too. I've had her for a little over a week now and tried to leave her alone as much as possible. But I cleaned out her container today from ant poops and saw that she still has her wings. Does this mean she's not mated yet or just doesn't feel safe in one way or another? This is my first time ever housing an ant so I have no idea :0

Nathant

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 am

Uskall wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm
Nathant wrote:
She is about 7-8mm's I think, it was kind of hard to measure her as she kept moving around. I'm pretty sure it's either a lasius niger or neglectus one, both seem to live here in Sweden too. I've had her for a little over a week now and tried to leave her alone as much as possible. But I cleaned out her container today from ant poops and saw that she still has her wings. Does this mean she's not mated yet or just doesn't feel safe in one way or another? This is my first time ever housing an ant so I have no idea :0
There's no way to tell if a queen has mated or not whether they have wings or not. She is Lasius.

Uskall

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:28 am

Nathant wrote:
There's no way to tell if a queen has mated or not whether they have wings or not. She is Lasius.
I think she might have laid some eggs? :0 There's like a lump of thiny, white blobs in the container but they are suuuuper tiny it might just be waste? She still has her wings too but one of them seem torn? I changed har water today and noticed these white blobs. Should I feed her some honey or something? Maybe a bug?

Jadeninja9

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Uskall wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:28 am
Nathant wrote:
I think she might have laid some eggs? :0 There's like a lump of thiny, white blobs in the container but they are suuuuper tiny it might just be waste? She still has her wings too but one of them seem torn? I changed har water today and noticed these white blobs. Should I feed her some honey or something? Maybe a bug?
Those are eggs. Their waste is brown. You should get her moved into a test tube setup.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Uskall

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:44 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:

Those are eggs. Their waste is brown. You should get her moved into a test tube setup.
Oh they are? COOL! It took her two weeks but that's awesome! I don't have a test tube setup or anything though, and I think it might take some time if I order it now I might just as well go for a hybrid nest directly? Usually when I order things from America to here, sweden, it takes like 10-14 days for it to get here, and by that time the eggs might already have hatched? What do you reckon I do? :0

Jadeninja9

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:09 am

Uskall wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:44 am
Jadeninja9 wrote:

Oh they are? COOL! It took her two weeks but that's awesome! I don't have a test tube setup or anything though, and I think it might take some time if I order it now I might just as well go for a hybrid nest directly? Usually when I order things from America to here, sweden, it takes like 10-14 days for it to get here, and by that time the eggs might already have hatched? What do you reckon I do? :0
Yeah it could take around two months to hatch. You aren't supposed to move any colony into a nest if they don't have atleast 40 workers. The nests are far too big for one single colony. They will feel stressed out because of the open space and the queen might not lay any eggs. Test tubes are the best for starting off colonies because they are a small space and the colony feels secure.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Uskall

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:09 am

Yeah it could take around two months to hatch. You aren't supposed to move any colony into a nest if they don't have atleast 40 workers. The nests are far too big for one single colony. They will feel stressed out because of the open space and the queen might not lay any eggs. Test tubes are the best for starting off colonies because they are a small space and the colony feels secure.
I see... By that time it might already be winter and snowy here. And I'm still not sure if I should keep her yet. (I live at home and my parents are VERY skeptic) I can't just release her with a bunch of eggs now though, can I? And when they hatch it might be too cold Dx Maybe I should try and find someone who wants to take her in in my region instead.