Tucson Arizona and hibernation

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Nobody

Tucson Arizona and hibernation

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:29 pm

I have been wondering lately how I should go about hybernating my ants. Sense I come from the desert what temperatures would be too cold for an ant colony? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how I should store them? Oh and what happens to the not fully developed eggs do they die off ? Or will they be okay through the winter ?

AntsArizona

Re: Tucson Arizona and hibernation

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Hello. I'm from Gilbert Arizona and asked a similar question for my founding colonies. From what I gathered, it sounds like we just need to move them to a place slightly warmer than outside temps like an attic or basement. I'll probably store mine in a box close to my patio door where it will be cool but not as cold as outside.

As far as the brood, I believe the queens will just stop producing eggs during the winter but will raise what she has left.

I was also told Solenopsis do not require hibernation.

Good luck!

Nj6000

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:00 pm

AntsArizona wrote:
Hello. I'm from Gilbert Arizona and asked a similar question for my founding colonies. From what I gathered, it sounds like we just need to move them to a place slightly warmer than outside temps like an attic or basement. I'll probably store mine in a box close to my patio door where it will be cool but not as cold as outside.

As far as the brood, I believe the queens will just stop producing eggs during the winter but will raise what she has left.

Good luck!
I think I was the one who told you that . Some solenopsis can hibernate . I think only the tropical ones can't hibernate .

AntsArizona

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 am

Nj6000 wrote:
AntsArizona wrote:

Good luck!
I think I was the one who told you that . Some solenopsis can hibernate . I think only the tropical ones can't hibernate .
Ahh ok good to know! :D

Nj6000

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 am

AntsArizona wrote:
Nj6000 wrote:
AntsArizona wrote:

Good luck!
By tropical ants I mean solenopsis invicta aka: fire ant

Nobody

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Nj6000 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 am
AntsArizona wrote:
Nj6000 wrote:

By tropical ants I mean solenopsis invicta aka: fire ant
Thank you all for the advice ! I am glad to hear that the existing brood won't die off completely. I'm glad you guys replied I think I can find a space to keep her. I was worried nobody would reply I didn't want to accidentally freeze her out to later find out they didn't hybernate here.