Feeding the new brood.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kalous

Feeding the new brood.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

I watched the carpenter ant tutorial on youtube by AntsCanada, but it doesn't say how often or exactly what I should be feeding my queens and their first brood? I'd really appreciate some advice as they just recently hatched while i was out on the weekend! Thanks so much

Kalous

Re: Feeding the new brood.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I have tons of woodlice and other insects out back, and, while im not sure its the best idea, I can get honey from a fast food place, I'd just like them to have a "safe" and varied diet if possible.

Kalous

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Additionally, ive noticed some ant poop building up and the test tube seems very moist. I'm curious at what point i should en-devour to move them to a new tube?

Batspiderfish

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:52 pm

If your queen is claustral, then she does not need any food until after the first workers emerge.

If your queen is semi-clasutral, then small, soft-bodied insects like Drosophila flies are best.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.