Need some good advice

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Kingluis

Need some good advice

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:06 am

So it looks like I have a Pogonomyrmex queen and was told by the community that she is semi claustal! So I decided to make a quick outworld with some plaster, rocks, sticks and a bottle cap (for the pure raw honey)
Anyways long story short I haven't seen the queen go back to her test tube or eat anything. There's some honey. A little pice of almond and a dead Junebug from last night !! Any advice please !! This is my first queen

Antacid

Re: Need some good advice

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:50 am

Try wrapping the test tube up to make it dark, even ants like a little privacy. Perhaps make a much smaller outworld, just a small space in which to leave your offerings.

ACaseoftheMondays

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:14 am

Most Pogonomyrmex species require seeds. Give her feed for small birds that contains grass seeds.
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

Kingluis

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm

ACaseoftheMondays wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:14 am
Most Pogonomyrmex species require seeds. Give her feed for small birds that contains grass seeds.
I put some small bird seeds in the test tube and put her back in there I still haven't seen her eat anything. The other day I saw her trying to bite at the cotton

Batspiderfish

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Assuming you made this recently, there is probably still a lot of moisture in the plaster. So, for the time being, she probably hasn't needed to return to the tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

ACaseoftheMondays

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:43 pm

You can also make the entrance to the tube smaller. The easiest way to do this is to plug the tube with cotton, and insert a small piece of drinking straw beside the cotton. Mine really seem to like that. Also, I put loose play sand in mine as a base, and the like to use the sand to further customize the entrances and insides of their tubes.
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

Kingluis

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:31 am

She just laid some eggs finally. How long does it take for the next stage ?

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 pm

I would cover the tube, and also provide only a small tunnel in between her test tube and the outworld. Do this by first blocking the entrance of the tube, and then shoving a section of drinking straw (1 inch long) in between the exit cotton and the side of the tube. This makes it feel less open. I mean, how would you like it if your house had a wall that was completely open to the world? also, there is absolutely no need to create a smaller foraging basin for her. Think about it. In the wild she would have the entire world to forage in!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile