I may have caught a queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Uskall

I may have caught a queen?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Earlier tonight I found a, slightly dazed, winged ant in my livingroom. I've had the balcony door open and I guess it got attracted by the lights and warmth? So instead of releasing it I thought I'd put her in a little container and ask you guys what I should do with her. Or even him, I have no idea. Considering it still has its wings it might not even mated yet, but they have been flying for a while now here. (Here is more specifically lower half of Sweden) I don't have a test tube either so I'm not sure if I could even make her feel comfortable and safe enough to start laying eggs, if she can. What do you guys think I should do? This is what I have her in atm, excuse the poor imagary of my webcam. At least it's drinking from the *** SPAM *** water?
The container is about 7cm's wide and 3cm's high.

AntsOnTheCoast

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Uskall wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 pm
Earlier tonight I found a, slightly dazed, winged ant in my livingroom. I've had the balcony door open and I guess it got attracted by the lights and warmth? So instead of releasing it I thought I'd put her in a little container and ask you guys what I should do with her. Or even him, I have no idea. Considering it still has its wings it might not even mated yet, but they have been flying for a while now here. (Here is more specifically lower half of Sweden) I don't have a test tube either so I'm not sure if I could even make her feel comfortable and safe enough to start laying eggs, if she can. What do you guys think I should do? This is what I have her in atm, excuse the poor imagary of my webcam. At least it's drinking from the *** SPAM *** water?
The container is about 7cm's wide and 3cm's high.
Not a very clear photo but it looks like a male alate. Possible it's not even an ant at all ;0

Uskall

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:17 pm

AntsOnTheCoast wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm
Not a very clear photo but it looks like a male alate. Possible it's not even an ant at all ;0
Oh it is an ant, that I am sure of. I see tons of these crawling out of the pavement here to fly away every day for the past two weeks. The other worker ants are smaller and black, not quite sure what they are though.

Jadeninja9

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm

That is definitely a queen. Possibly Formica. The picture isn't great.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Uskall

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:33 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm
That is definitely a queen. Possibly Formica. The picture isn't great.
Haha yeah.. I'd take a better with my camera but I don't want to disurb her too much? I've been googling about and I think it might be a Lasius of some sort. They are very common here, you see workers crawl out of every crack in the pavement. But we also have a lot of formica rufa around here, they are so much more red though, this one's completely dark gray/black.

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 am

Are the antennae straight or elbowed?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Uskall

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 am
Are the antennae straight or elbowed?
I think they are elbowed? They seem to have a tiny bend at them at least. I tried to take a better photo but she was moving around and I didn't want to light the whole room up in case it would disturb her too much.

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:29 pm

How long is she in mm
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Uskall

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
How long is she in mm
She's pretty big.. maybe 3-4? I think the first photo I posted is pretty much natural size.

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Uskall wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm
Jadeninja9 wrote:
How long is she in mm
She's pretty big.. maybe 3-4? I think the first photo I posted is pretty much natural size.
3-4 mm isn't big lol
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans